2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 3/4 ton 2wd...pulling my hair out!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:32 AM
UnIOnViLLEHauNT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twisted Metal
Union, I live in Jersey just like you. You will never pass inspection with no cat. Even if you fix the CEL problem. (In NJ, if you have a CEL light on at inspection= automatic fail). Remeber if they can't use the OBD II hook up, they still use the probe in the tailpipe. Also, they do the visual inspection under the truck.
Oh don't I know it, but I'm not so much trying to bypass having a cat, I just want to correct this thing back to stock, get the CEL out and ultimately get it to reliably tow my car trailer smoothly without a lot of fuss with up and down gas mileage and rich today/lean tomorrow. A friend of mine owns a large parts store in Northern NJ, I just emailed him about a stock cat price, see what he says. From there I'm almost positive I'm going to still have a CEL, and I am going to look into the plenum over the weekend. I did pop the oil filler cap off and didnt feel any suction though, wouldn't that be a sign? I'm just hoping I can get closer to finding why this thing runs poorly this weekend.

What do you guys use for high flow cats? I saw one called "Flowmonster" on the auction site for around $90 shipped, seems reasonably priced. I'm kind of thinking just tacking the hollowed cat on, dealing with the situation for a few days (I have to move out of a storage unit this weekend and it is currently undriveable) and ordering the high flow cat and maybe a cat back dual exhaust or a flowmaster muffler so I don't have a million weld seams by peacemeal work.

Quick Reply: 96 3/4 ton 2wd...pulling my hair out!