2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Miles before V10 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well done with the pics.

I'd say you really lucked out on that. It's real gem.

What are your plans for it? mods, etc.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:21 AM
STiRocket
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really have any big plans for mods or anything. I had a hard time finding a V10 2500, Quad Cab, 4X4 with a long bed for sale anywhere in the NW. When I finally found this one in Florida it was a Laramie SLT, which has most every option you could want. Leather, power heated seats, towing package, heavy duty everything, Rhino Liner, compass, driving computer, etc. etc... Really more than I was looking for to haul garbage and carry my old camper, and a far cry from my old truck.

This truck replaces a two wheel drive 1979 Chevy 3/4 ton with camper springs and a 454, that I hauled my camper all over the NW with for the last couple decades. So after giving it a bath, changing all the fluids/filters and putting new rubber on it, I strapped on my old camper and went looking for truck scales. Imagine my surprise when I rolled across those scales at almost 10,000 pounds!!! I figured that this truck was heavier than my old one, but I had no idea that my old 11 1/2' camper weighed 3,000 pounds! That puts me 1,000 over my GVWR!

Well, I decided that if my old Chevy could carry the camper for over 20 years the Dodge Ram sure as hell could. So I loaded up and headed East over Snoqualami Pass (3,000') over to Cle Elum in central Washington, and up to the top of Peoh Point (4,500'). Didn't hardly know the camper was back there. I think it actually drives better with 3,000 pounds in the box. 9 MPG doesn't scare me because the old 454 got 7. Filling that 35 gallon gas tank is kind of a cardiac check at today's gas prices, but I'll get over it. It's nice getting into the truck on a cold morning and within a couple minutes having a warm butt!

Mark -

Old 04-18-2012, 02:18 PM
dnbinc
Amateur
Default 1998 2500 v10

I know it's an old thread.. but I just wanted to say I am sitting @ 199,551 and my V10 runs smooth and as well as day 1. No rebuild yet and I don't foresee one anytime soon.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:23 PM
STiRocket
Amateur

Hey, thanks for the feedback. It's good to hear you guys talking about 200K miles like it's nothing. I'm planning on retiring soon, and I'm glad I shouldn't have to put a lot of money into the truck for a while.

I'm concerned with how heavy my old camper is, so I'm looking at Nash or Artic Fox 22' travel trailers. From what I hear you guys saying the truck should pull that with no problem...

Mark -

Old 04-19-2012, 01:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,267 Likes on 3,014 Posts

It won't even notice it's back there.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:48 PM
MrRuckuss
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ exactly right...i used my 01 v10 for hauling trailers cross country...i have a couple of pics in the profile but a 22' tt, might knock you down a mile or two as far as mpg but other than that easy haul. i had headers 2.5" dual exhaust w/ 2 cats (hiflow) and 2 magnaflow mufflers and the tuner from hemifever unloaded on the highway i got 15mpg and i figured it out to every 1000lbs i lost 1.149 mpg, yours being stock? maybe 1 or 2 mpg loss. and a suggestion, get the tuner and depending on emissions if you have to have them, but i'd ditch the cats or get the hiflow ones, dramatic improvement.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just saying, Ive hauled, and towed, at the same time, much more than what the truck is rated for. And I only have a 1500 360. So I wouldn't worry about pulling your old camper.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:25 PM
STiRocket
Amateur

Originally Posted by MrRuckuss
^^^ exactly right...i used my 01 v10 for hauling trailers cross country...i have a couple of pics in the profile but a 22' tt, might knock you down a mile or two as far as mpg but other than that easy haul. i had headers 2.5" dual exhaust w/ 2 cats (hiflow) and 2 magnaflow mufflers and the tuner from hemifever unloaded on the highway i got 15mpg and i figured it out to every 1000lbs i lost 1.149 mpg, yours being stock? maybe 1 or 2 mpg loss. and a suggestion, get the tuner and depending on emissions if you have to have them, but i'd ditch the cats or get the hiflow ones, dramatic improvement.
MrRuckuss,
Tks for the info. I went to Hemifever's web site and didn't see any specific offerings for my '01 V10. Not that I'm really looking for more HP or Torque, but I'm a car guy and I like that stuff. My daily driver is a 2005 Subaru STi, and I've flashed the Engine Control Unit (ECU) with a Cobb Stage 1 flash, which is no hardware changes, just a better tune. It only gave me 20 more HP (320) but it gave me 40 more foot pounds of torque (340), spread across a much wider RPM range. That simple update made a dramatic change in the drivability of my 3,300# car, so I know where you're coming from about Hemifever. Cobb sells a device called an AccessPort that you plug into your OBDII port under the steering wheel. This gives it direct access to your ECU. You downloads OTS (Off The Shelf) ECU maps from the Internet to your computer and copy them to the AccessPort. Then Flash your ECU. Does Hemifever work the same way? I'm a newbie with this truck, so I don't understand these things... Thanks for your help...

Mark -

Old 04-20-2012, 09:42 PM
STiRocket
Amateur

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Just saying, Ive hauled, and towed, at the same time, much more than what the truck is rated for. And I only have a 1500 360. So I wouldn't worry about pulling your old camper.
Ham Bone,
I hear ya!!! I pulled that fat *** camper all over the NorthWest for 10 years, and my buddy did it for 10 years before me on a '79 two wheel drive 3/4 ton Chebby PU. So I'm sure the RAM 2500 can do the job... But... It's a 43 year old camper and consequently is somewhat worse for wear. There's water damage inside, although I stopped the leaks when I bought it, but I had to repair a couple jack corners after they broke where the jacks mount, from rotten wood framing. Soooo... It's time for that old camper to go. I think we've gotten our money's worth out of it. It was difficult to get on/off the truck too, because the damned tailgate is over 3' in the air. I had to put cinder blocks under the jacks to get it up high enough to get it on and off the truck!!!

Well, anyway I'm looking into Travel Trailers (TTs) now. I want something small enough that I can pull up a nasty dirt road on a steep mountain, to a remote "fly fishing only" lake and spend a week or more with two people. I'm thinking a 22 footer and the brute force of the 4WD v10 can make that happen... Although I may have to save up for gas before a trip...

Mark -

Old 03-07-2021, 12:19 PM
Chris Basquez
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by STiRocket
I tried to search for this information in a number of different ways, but when you can't use V10 in your search it makes it tough, so I thought I'd just ask...

I want to buy a 98 to 2002, Ram 2500, quad cab, long box, with a V10. But I don't know how many miles to expect out of the V10 before it will need to be rebuilt. Most of them I'm seeing have between 100K and 175K miles. Can anyone give me an idea of when you need head work or rings, bearings?

Thanks...
hi chris basquez here i have a dodge 98 ram 2500 v-10 extra cab short bed 4x4 . i bought my truck used wit 72,000 miles first thing i did was change the oil. i went to 100% synthetic. i have changed the oil ONLY 3 times since i had it. i use my truck for work and im not easy on her by any means. i have gone thru 3 clutches one front axle 3 track bars multiple tie rod ends and front wheel bearings. my dodge v-10 now has 297,000 miles on it and still going strong. does not smoke and the compression is still within specs as of today. if the compression is within specs. i would say in my opinion don't have to rebuild until the compression is out of specs. I LOVE MY DODGE V-10 ITS A WORK HORSE . EVERY THING I SAID IS TRUE. MY COINTACT IF YOU SHOULD WANT TO TALK TO ME Removed FEEL FREE GIVE ME A CALL. THANKS

Last edited by HeyYou; 03-07-2021 at 04:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Miles before V10 rebuild