2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

To Laramie and Augie (or any other car audio gurus)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are planning on using only the H/U's onboard amp, then you should use whatever they recommend. Most are in the 4 ohm range. My statement about mixing was regarding channel pairs. For instance, not putting a 2-ohm speaker on the LF and a 4-ohm speaker on the RF. Generally, using two 2-ohm speakers for the front and 4-ohm speakers for the rear (or vice versa) should be OK, but it depends on the H/U. Most prefer the use of matched speakers all around. External amps are a little more forgiving so long as they are rated for 2 and 4 ohm operation.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Sorry, but you're only half right. Wiring in parallel does not change the load. Just like when you wire batteries in parallel, they both remain 12 volts. If you wire a 2 ohm and a 4 ohm speaker in parallel, the amp will see a load of 4 ohms, not 6 or 3, but total output power will be reduced because you will be driving 2 speakers instead of one thereby reducing the available wattage to both. Still, the impedance will be that of the higher ohm speaker. Load is not just the ohms of the circuit, it is also the amperage and wattage. Ohms is static, amperage and wattage are not.

Most amps are designed for balanced loads. Putting a 2 ohm speaker on the same channel pair as a 4 ohm speaker will not only cause unbalanced sound output, but it will eventually cause the amp to fail. I don't know any manufacturer that recommends unbalanced loads for their amps.
But you do change the amperage and wattage of and amp when you reduce the ohms load the amp sees it increases the output wattage.....This is the difference between a crappy amp and better amps....If you wire a good amp up in a 2 ohm load it theoretically doubles the rated output of the amp....it also draws more amps and runs hotter.....this is the pricipal in some amps designs like the 25watt x2 (in a 4ohm load) orion HCCA in my vette powering my subs....I have two dual voice coil subs wires in parallel and then parallel again which puts a 1/2ohm load on the amp and icreases the rms wattage output to 200 watts per voicecoil .... The amp Im putting in the ram will push over 600 watts rms in the same load but overheats if I don't provide additional cooling and I had to beef up the power supply wiring as it would distort blow the fuse because of the additional power draw in my jeep before I beefed it up and added a cap....
Good amps are 1 ohm stable bridged decent amps are 2ohms stable bridged....I run mine at 1/2 ohm and they really cook and need additional fan cooling.
most cheap amps are 2 ohm stable not bridged and 4 ohms stable bridged.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 09-27-2009 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply: To Laramie and Augie (or any other car audio gurus)