2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:43 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Stereo upgrade has been finished.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stereo upgrade has been finished.

OK, got my new amp and speakers in yesterday and started tearing stuff apart today. Decided to put the new rear speakers in first just to see how they sound with the head unit's onboard amp. I decided to make some new mounts since 5.25" speakers don't fit the factory hole completely. I also wanted to seal the door as much as possible, too.

Here's the rear door all stripped and ready
Name:  Stereo001.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  32.6 KB

I made some mounting rings out of 1/4" MDF and screwed them to the opening and sealed them all around with silicone.
Name:  Stereo004.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  33.0 KB

I siliconed any sheetmetal joints just to prevent any buzz from the bass.
Name:  Stereo007.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  21.6 KB

I filled all the seams inside the door with expanding foam just to seal them for better acoustics.
Name:  Stereo003.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  27.0 KB

The finished door with new speaker. The hole on the side acts like a big port and ported speakers require higher amp output to operate properly, so I filled it in with some Dynamat.
Name:  Stereo005.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  58.5 KB

I decided to put the new amp under the passenger seat. I made a platform out of MDF for the amp to sit on. The bottom has legs to let it sit level and two mounting blocks in the middle that a screw goes through into the sheetmetal.
Name:  Stereo008.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  59.8 KB

The top of the platform. I aprayed it flat black so it is unobtrusive. The slots are to bring the wires through and keep them neat.
Name:  Stereo009.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  51.5 KB

To make installation easier I removed the bottom seat cushion. Here's the platform in place.
Name:  Stereo011.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  47.3 KB

The amp on the platform. With it like this I have easy access to all the controls from the front of the seat.
Name:  Stereo013.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  49.3 KB

The view from the back of the seat. I have easy access to all the speaker/power connections. Again, the slot keeps the wires neat and protected.

My back started tightening up and my foot was throibbing, so the wiring will have to wait until tomorrow or Sunday. Just the new speakers made an improvement, but the amp has separate crossover controls for front and rear channels that will allow me to better tailor the output to the speakers. Right now I have too much bass going to the rear speakers, but the only way to control it is to adjust the fader so they get less power. With this amp I can adjust the rolloffs independently and still retain my fader. More to come...

Old 09-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Does the amp have any built in crossovers to filter out the lower bass? They sell bassblockers at any car audio store or bestbuy to help with that also and they are cheap and east to wire in.
looks good. I just hope nobody messes up the wiring connections with muddy feet.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Mud? In my truck? Are you high?

This is a 4-channel amp and each pair of channels (1/2 and 3/4) have their own set of crossover controls so I can adjust them independently and turn down the bass to the rear speakers.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

lol I guess you got a street queen then...

thats what I figured on the amp thats why I asked...

Old 09-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Not exactly a street queen, but I rarely take passengers out wheeling and if they get muddy they ride in the bed.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:55 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do those dynomats make a difference? I've heard they do by some and that they're useless by others....But I'd like to upgrade them into my truck someday

Old 09-25-2009, 11:38 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Looks like you really got a handle on things Miami, nice job so far.

Did I miss what all you have planned for the stereo, or was it in another thread? Just door speakers, or a seperate sub box and all that jazz too?

Trending Topics

Old 09-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good so far, but damn man, if I had what you have spent in dynamat alone.......

Old 09-25-2009, 11:59 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

this is makin me itch to start on my stereo work and believe me i want it to rattle the windows

Old 09-26-2009, 01:05 AM
Miami_Son
Banned

I'm really not wanting to put a sub in. I like bass, but I don't want to give up any cab space and I don't need to shake the windows. I just like good, clean sound.

The head unit has been in for little while. It's a Sony MEX-BT3700U. It has stereo bluetooth built-in so as soon as I get in the truck it connects to the phone and I can take/make calls and play music from my phone through it. I also have the HD radio module and a 10-disc CD changer that plays MP3s, so one disc holds like 10 albums. Enough music for even the longest road trip.

Name:  037.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  83.2 KB

As for the Dynamat, yes, it makes a big difference in quieting the road noise down and making the cavernous doors a dead space so only the music comes through. I've only spent about $250 on the Dynamat, but it was worth it. The bass response is much better without all those sound waves reflecting off the back of the speakers.

Can't wait to finish it up!

Quick Reply: Stereo upgrade has been finished.