2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clunking noise in Steering Wheel/Column

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 07:51 PM
RamSteeringFix Guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Back to you....thanks David

Originally Posted by thunderz
Do you have a link to that thread you can share?
Thunderz:

I don't think the admin here allows posting links to 'other' Ram forums, if I'm not mistaken.

You can PM / email me, if you'd like, and I can shoot you those links. Our instructions leave no "stone unturned" - ie: very clear steps, lots of pics, etc, so that the column can be fixed correctly the first time.

Usually, any clunking or rattling noises are due to the column. Sometimes the suspension / underframe components, but not usually.

Here's how to distinguish between the two: If it's your column that is originating the noise, recreate the conditions where the clunking / rattling occurs (certain speed, pavement texture or joints, etc) and test it with you Windows rolled up (quiet cab environment), and with your Windows down (lets outside sounds come in).

Column originated noises will be much louder with the Windows up, quieter with them down.

Suspension originated noises will tend to be the reverse, louder with the Windows down, much quieter with windows up. (drive next to a solid wall to amplify suspected suspension noises...).

This ought to help you distinguish where the noise is occuring. Column noises that are clunking or rattling are usually due to the lower OEM bearing wearing out & allowing the inner steering shaft to 'pop' or flop from side to side within the column outer tube.

As already suggested, the Rock Solid Ram Truck Steering rebuild kit fixes this by replacing the worn OEM bearing (Dodge only sells complete columns....no 'user serviceable parts') with a precison Delrin assembly that won't allow this to occur.

Effect: Clunking or rattling noises & column originated steering play is no longer a problem.

Hope this is of help to you....or others, too.
David Alan

Quick Reply: Clunking noise in Steering Wheel/Column