2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front axle leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 02:53 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i have the same problem on the drivers side. I could be just normal wear and tear due to the fact that the rams dont have propor protection to elements in the front end, (shields) so dirt sitting in there a while could have made them leak, i bought my dodge 4 months ago, and the seal jus started leaking 2 weeks ago. i dont beat on it or go off-road with it.

But also as you say it could have been the mechanic

Old 09-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it was the mechanics fault. if they were not leaking before he pulled the axle out and were leaking after he put it back in then it is his fault.

if you have differential fluid coming out of the axle tube then your seal is leaking.
those seals are in direct contact with the axle and when the wheel moves the axle rubs the seal. so over time (75k-ish and up) the rubber wears down and the spring that holds the rubber to the axle gets weak.

95ram360, you have to change out your seal. and it won't be that much fun. i just changed both of mine and to do the drivers side you need to remove the carrier.

here is a thread on the same subject. i didn't have anyone to blame though, it was all me. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...984-uh-oh.html

Quick Reply: Front axle leak