2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front axle leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:17 PM
d_edge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front axle leak

I had my ball joints replace a couple weeks ago and ever since my axle has been leaking out of both sides, the shop said this is normal and would go away that was about a week ago but it still leaking, anybody have any personal experience with this situation.....thanks

Old 09-28-2009, 11:33 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

They more than likely tore the axle seals. I know I have experienced some seepages just after reinstalling the axle shafts before, but it quits shortly after driving it. My guess is if it has been leaking for quite some time now, the seals need to be replaced.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replacing your ball joints should have nothing to do with your axle seals. Are you sure it wasn't leaking before? Did they do anything else on your truck? Once the seals are leaking they won't stop on their own. I wouldn't keep driving it, if the fluid gets too low you can burn up the differential. Even when not in 4WD, the driver's side axle shaft still turns and can spin the carrier side gears.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:46 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Replacing your ball joints should have nothing to do with your axle seals.

Well, in a way it does. The axle shafts have to be pulled to get the steering knuckle off so the ball joints can be changed. And if care is not taken when reinstalling the shafts, the seals will get torn.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:50 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

I have also read that driving for a long time with bad ball joints and/or wheel bearings can cause the seals to wear on the lower side (due to the slight angle in the shaft), and when the worn part is replaced (and the shaft returns to its proper location), oil can leak under the shaft. Not totally sure, but that could be it as well.

Last edited by olyelr; 09-28-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:02 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My bad, I was thinking tie-rod ends. Sounds like they hammered on the knuckles and messed up his axle seals. Or they weren't careful with the axle shafts upon removal/reinstallation. I would be down there screaming bloody murder and insisting they fix it.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:07 AM
townsley4
Veteran

happened to me, i had my ball joints and u-joints replaced, axles started leaking, out of both sides..."mechanic" said its leaking out of one side wich i showed him both sides wer so he only replaced one...when he was the one who messed them up in the first place, then i had to go back and get the other axle seal replaced and pay again for labor and the part because of this ****ty lazy *** mechanic. i swear....

Old 09-29-2009, 12:10 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
I would be down there screaming bloody murder and insisting they fix it.

Same here, but then ya gotta think... they couldn't fix it right the first time, do I want them to try again?

If its a decent shop that you trust, I would definitely be taking it back. Thats a bunch of bunk.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:44 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

they should definitely fix it. it was removal of the axle shafts that screwed the seals.
they are right about fluid leaking right after the axles are pulled, to a degree. when you pull the axles out they drag some fluid out with them but it will only be like 1/4 cup. if fluid is still coming out after a day or so then the seal is leaking.
one way to be positive its leaking is to clean up the knuckles with brake cleaner and see if you get a bunch of fresh fluid on it after the cleaning.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:26 PM
d_edge

The fluid drips out into a little puddle when parked.

Quick Reply: Front axle leak