2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aftermarket CD player

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottmilkeway
haha that looks like a whole mess of fun, time to break out the electrical tape
Use butt splice crimps, tape won't hold or make a good connection. Take your time, do one at a time and make sure you follow the color codes because the wire colors on the factory harness won't match the wire colors on the adapter, which won't match the wire colors on the new radio's harness. For instance, the factory wire for the +12v that is on all the time will be pink, but in the adapter it will probably be red and coming from the radio it might be red or yellow. Don't go by color, go by what it does and you should be fine.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:56 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
Look on crutchfield but don't buy your speakers amps ect. Shop around for them, I got my head unit from them cause it came with the harrnest and dash kit. There prices are very high. Thats the only reason I didn't buy my speakers from them. If i had got all my stuff from them I was just below 400. I got every thing for around 300 because I shopped around.
While I agree with this partially. A lot of online sellers aren't authorized retailers for several brands. Where as last time I checked Crutchfield was for everything they sold. So in a lot of cases I'd rather spend the extra $100 for great service and knowing the product is backed by a manufacturer warranty.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:23 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

True but I want a deal. Thats what I was shopping for.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:04 AM
xray99
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you just want a basic setup, have them install it for you, many radios including "basic installation".
Not very complex to di it yourself though, like suggested, just take your time, and make sure any splices are solid.
Better off with heat shrink tubing than tape.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
Ok the wires you have picked out are only good for things like an HD radio, bluetooth ect. What you need is the harrnest from the back of the deck to the factory stuff. Unless you plan on running new wires from you speakers. In that case you only need the pig tails you don't need conecters on both ends because you will soder the new speaker wires on to the pig tails. Do you plan on running new wires?
Once again, you are wrong. You really need to start doing your homework before you post. Vaughn and Miami corrected you in a very subtle way, but I don't think you caught that.
Where are you getting the idea that that harness adapter is/are only good for HD/Bluetooth controllers? Those plugs have nothing, I repeat, NOTHING to do with extra controllers for the deck. In many cases, using that adapter that he's looking at will make life much easier when he wires everything up, considering that there is about a 95% chance that the wire colors will match with the ones on the deck.

At least it wasn't a big mistake like telling the op to hook the deck up to a drill battery to see if it works.....

Originally Posted by Oren09
Unfortunately. A true wiring harness adapter is rare. Most connect to the car side of the harness with pigtails to be mated to the connector with pigtails that came with the radio. This requires splicing, but you don't have to butcher your stock harness in case you want to pull your HU if you sell the truck.
True plug and play harnesses are not as rare as you think they are. Most car audio stores at least used to carry direct fit adapters that work just fine. My old deck setup was like this. The only thing I had to move around was the negative/ground wire because the pin was loose in the factory harness.
To get a true plug and play, it will cost a good deal more than one that you have to chop and slice on.

Originally Posted by xray99
If you just want a basic setup, have them install it for you, many radios including "basic installation".
Not very complex to di it yourself though, like suggested, just take your time, and make sure any splices are solid.
Better off with heat shrink tubing than tape.
1+ If you buy a deck from best buy, usually they offer free install plus the cost of parts. IE, wire harness.

TO the OP: Wiring in isn't that hard, and I do suggest like the others above that you DO want to get an adapter and use it to chop on. Not because you might want to take that deck with you to your next truck, but just for the ease that it makes.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:41 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Once again, you are wrong. You really need to start doing your homework before you post. Vaughn and Miami corrected you in a very subtle way, but I don't think you caught that.
Where are you getting the idea that that harness adapter is/are only good for HD/Bluetooth controllers? Those plugs have nothing, I repeat, NOTHING to do with extra controllers for the deck. In many cases, using that adapter that he's looking at will make life much easier when he wires everything up, considering that there is about a 95% chance that the wire colors will match with the ones on the deck.
The only reason I said that is cause they looked the the extra wire that came with my head unit. I did notice they where correct and I was wrong. I'm kind getting my feet "wet" in this area, but not really.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Scottmilkeway
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright thanks for all of the help guys, i think I'll go with the harness and what not, and I'll see what best buy has to offer me as far as installing it, if it costs an arm and a leg, its nothing a little reading of some instructions cant fix, they should be color coded for when theyere connected or something along those lines right?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:41 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

Dude if I can do it you sure as hell can!! And thats the truth.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:36 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottmilkeway
I'll see what best buy has to offer me as far as installing it, if it costs an arm and a leg, its nothing a little reading of some instructions cant fix
Best Buy charges $50 for a head unit install. That usually does not include any adapters for the harness you may need.

They charge $70 for a "standard speaker installation", which is one pair of speakers.

They charge $70 for an amp installation.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket CD player