2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

C-4466-a headlight aiming tool

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 05:27 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ADJUSTMENTS
LAMP ALIGNMENT SCREEN PREPARATION
(1) Position vehicle on a level surface perpendicular to a flat wall 7.62 meters (25 ft) away from front of headlamp lens (Fig. 20).
(2) If necessary, tape a line on the floor 7.62 meters (25 ft) away from and parallel to the wall.
(3) Up 1.27 meters (5 feet) from the floor, tape a line on the wall at the centerline of the vehicle. Sight along the centerline of the vehicle (from rear of vehicle forward) to verify accuracy of the line placement.
(4) Rock vehicle side-to-side three times to allow suspension to stabilize.
(5) Jounce front suspension three times by pushing downward on front bumper and releasing.
(6) Measure the distance from the center of headlamp lens to the floor. Transfer measurement to the alignment screen (with tape). Use this line for up/down adjustment reference.
(7) Measure distance from the centerline of the vehicle to the center of each headlamp being aligned. Transfer measurements to screen (with tape) to each side of vehicle centerline. Use these lines for left/ right adjustment reference.

VEHICLE PREPARATION FOR HEADLAMP ALIGNMENT
(1) Verify headlamp dimmer switch and high beam indicator operation.
(2) Verify headlamps are set for low beam operation.
(3) Correct defective components that could hinder proper headlamp alignment.
(4) Verify proper tire inflation.
(5) Clean headlamp lenses.
(6) Verify that luggage area is not heavily loaded.
(7) Fuel tank should be FULL. Add 2.94 kg (6.5 lbs.) of weight over the fuel tank for each estimated gallon of missing fuel.

HEADLAMP ADJUSTMENT
Headlamps can be aligned using the screen method provided or alignment tool C-4466–A or equivalent can be used. refer to the instructions provided with the tool for proper procedures.

A properly aimed low beam headlamp will project top edge of high intensity pattern on screen from 50 mm (2 in.) above to 50 mm (2 in.) below headlamp centerline. The side-to-side outboard edge of high intensity pattern should be from 50 mm (2 in.) left to 50 mm (2 in.) right of headlamp centerline. (Fig. 20) The preferred headlamp alignment is 1” down for the up/down adjustment and 0 for the left/right adjustment. The high beam pattern should be correct when the low beams are aligned properly.

To adjust headlamp aim, rotate alignment screws (Fig. 21) to achieve the specified high intensity pattern.

Basically, park your truck 25 feet away from a wall. The center of the low beam headlight beam should be straight ahead (not looking off to the left or right) and over that 25 feet, be 1 inch lower. (Say, center of headlight lens is 30 inches off ground, the center of the low beam light beam should be 29 inches off the ground)

Old 10-02-2009, 08:17 AM
jmanners
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alabama, yeah this has nothing to do with passing inspection....
guess im at the trial and error method- i found somethin on a manual i got off of this forum that describes pullin up 25 ft away from a wall... but what i dont get is when im 25 ft away where are the headlights supposed to be? straight, up or down from the height that they are off the ground... further confusing me it says something else about 5 ft but i dont get where the 5 ft comes into play...

Old 10-02-2009, 08:20 AM
jmanners

yeah thats exactly the thing ive been reading- your explanation makes a lot more sense.... thanks, wil give it a try and see if i cant get some properly aimed headlights

Old 10-02-2009, 08:45 AM
AlabamaRam95
All Star

wow... someone has actually made adjusting a headlamp a career.

i mean...thats a full write-up...wow...speechless

Old 10-02-2009, 06:39 PM
jmanners

ive seen it before- its cut and paste from a really good manual that you can find on this forum

Old 10-06-2009, 07:22 PM
seabass202
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, great write up! here's an Idea, park a vehicle with stock or known to be OK headlight alignment and shine on a garage door or wall etc,. mark low and high beams. put truck in place of the other and adjust accordingly to match. maybe I am mistaken but ride height between the control and subject shouldn't matter much if the wall is 20 to 30 feet away. however the closer in ride height between the two vehicles the better. P.S. I would like to know what you all think about this method

Quick Reply: C-4466-a headlight aiming tool