2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 Dodge Ram 5.9 Tranny Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:33 PM
[roger]
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Dodge Ram 5.9 Tranny Problems

So I got my Transmission look at and they checked and my Governor was shorted so my they told me to replace it
3hr later and 155 bucks later
I got my truck back and it was running fine. but then it started again not to shift when it get to normal temperatures.
but when I turn off the truck and go to the store or something of that nature and I start it back up it runs fine but when get back to normal temps it starts again. but some times it doesnt do it while it @ normal temp.

Could it be the Transmission Hoses that is acting up? I notice my engine bay has some fresh oil on the chassis and a while back I notice my hose was have a leak problems from the tip from the radiator but a couple of seal locks fix it.

so what can the problem be?

Should I get the Check Valve delete mod?

Old 10-04-2009, 11:59 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no and no.

here's the problem.... you're $155 deep into your transmission, and its not right.
you're going to end up a lot deeper, the question is how much? $200, $500, $1000, $1500.

the major questions you have to ask yourself - is how confident are you that this shop knows what they're doing ? and how much more repair can you afford ?

if you want to continue with this shop, then take it back, but do it WITH CAUTION...and be very wary of throwing more money at it without results. give them feedback on what it was previously doing vs what its doing now. and if its doing the exact same thing that it was doing, then tell them that they mis-diagnosed the problem. give them a second chance to fix it PROVIDED that you fully understand how much, if any, additional money its going to cost you.

there are some great transmission shops, and there are some not so good ones that will rape your wallet. if you've been on here for any amount of time, then you know how prone these trucks are to some very expensive transmission rebuilds ($1500)

Old 10-05-2009, 02:31 AM
[roger]
Amateur

and this **** all started when I got my Transmission Fliter change.
could this be prone by the fact that they used Transmission Oil that is not ATF+4?
they got a barrel where they got there Oil from.

I am at my wits I dont know if I should stay with the truck I like since it was my father gift to me for Graduation. Or should I just trade up toward a newer truck.

Last edited by [roger]; 10-05-2009 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:04 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

if its not ATF+4 drain it and fill it with +4 or its gunna damage the tranny, and i used Lucus Transmission stabilizer, and it makes it shift like brand new (well my tranny has 15K on it, but the torque converter was disengaging late, and the stabilizer fixed it, that was 3K ago)

Old 10-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the problem is you cant mix the two fliuds.....when you drop the pan it only looses 4-5 quarts which means there still a lot more in there....if it where rebuilt and filled with dextron it would likely be ok.
There are some here with a couple hundred thousand miles on the tranny with dextron3 in them....my dipstick and manual say its ok. But if you mix the two it can screw up the friction properties of it....
That being said I use atf+4 recommended by the tranny guys and if you dont want to take chances its the safer bet.
from the cost they replaced the govenor solenoid....they should have changed the transducer with it. (another $70 from dealership)

Old 10-05-2009, 10:35 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

not trying to say you're wrong Augiedoggy, but when i went to the dealership, they told me that it must be +4 or it will damage the transmission

Old 10-05-2009, 12:12 PM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
not trying to say you're wrong Augiedoggy, but when i went to the dealership, they told me that it must be +4 or it will damage the transmission

+3 is safe...Cause thats what these trannies came with.(correct me if im wrong) So +4 isnt the only safe fluid you can put in these trannies. When i do my trans fluid/filter change im switching to +4 cause it is better tho.

Or either the older trannies came with +3 and newer came with +4. Im not sure.

Last edited by DODGEPWR; 10-05-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
I know, point made.... I've read a lot from both sides of the opinions on this but consider this......If that were true why does the dipstick and the owners manual say dextron 2 (or higher is recommended as well as atf+3
Also consider if it did destroy the tranny there would be a class action suit against dodge for saying its ok...tranny shops would at some point got the ball rolling on this.
What about the fact that some here have been using it with no issues at all?
Either way I as well as most here are just repeating hearsay and have never put dextron in after properly flushing all the atf+4 (3) why would we? but some tranny shops would when they rebuild the tranny...
Halfamill has 443,000 miles on his and he uses dextron I believe...
until someone can actually state a reason why it wont work I have to believe a lot of this is just conjecture and issues that arose from mixing the two fluids myself.
what is different in the design of a dodge ram tranny? anyone out there know?

Old 10-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by DODGEPWR
+3 is safe...Cause thats what these trannies came with.(correct me if im wrong) So +4 isnt the only safe fluid you can put in these trannies. When i do my trans fluid/filter change im switching to +4 cause it is better tho.

Or either the older trannies came with +3 and newer came with +4. Im not sure.
thats all they make is +4 now It replaced +3....If you found +3 its likely old stuff
I use +4 myself because of all the warnings online not to use dextron but no body ever gives a reason why?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:39 PM
[roger]
Amateur

So I should drop the plate let it drip and replace it with ATF+4?

Quick Reply: 99 Dodge Ram 5.9 Tranny Problems