2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Massive bog down at 30MPH

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Rachelzeidler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Massive bog down at 30MPH

Hi everyone I myself am new to this forum though I believe my husband is here all the time. He though is out of town and I have a few questions. A while back we had some issues with the truck, where told it was CAT. We broke out the honeycomb in the cat and it drove great for the last 3 weeks after this. Had power again!!! Now though, When I'm driving around 30MPH it bogs down and feels like Im pulling a really heavy load or something. At first if I threw it in N while driving and restarted it, it would work fine again. But now doing that is not even solving the issue. Im guessing from the things I;m doing it would be a gas issue??? But Im not great with trucks so Im asking for help here. I drive a 99 dodge ram 1500 sport 4x4 5.9. Any help would be wonderful here. My check engine light is on, but has been for about 1.5 months now, and it never went off after removing the CAT things. Thank you in advance!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Rachelzeidler

I should also tell you that when it first started we replaced all the spark plugs and did the whole tune up thing, afterwards I had to take it to the shop for misfiring, got charged 100$ to be told 2 spark plugs wires were crossed and they switched them. I think its called a distributor cap. was also replaced. Im not the best with trucks so woman terms for me would be great. Thank you.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:09 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

when you gutted the cat the 02 sensor could have gone. try replace the 02 sensor

Old 10-22-2009, 02:29 PM
gobbell1
Professional

I would start with the 2 obvious things first.

1. Get the check engine light (CEL) code read. Either by Autozone or friend
2. When did you last change tranny fluid/filter and check the bands?

Old 10-22-2009, 02:45 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely start by pulling the codes from the check engine light and take it from there.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:15 PM
moparama
Veteran

yeah get those codes read. prob wasnt the cat to begin with.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:46 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you know your husbands screen name?

Old 10-24-2009, 09:01 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rachelzeidler
so woman terms for me would be great. Thank you.
congrats on your first posts.
i'd consider that the front oxygen sensor thingy might have broken during the cat gutting.

another possibility is more of the cat honeycomb has broken loose and gone into the muffler, stopping it up.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Rachelzeidler

Ill check all these things. I have a code reading machine that you plug into the lighter. They just say #'s that I can never seem to find answers for on the net. But i will try it and post them. I think my hubbys name on here is either Ziggy or Warden those are usually what he uses, but hes working out of town so I will have to ask when I talk to him next. I dropped a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank this last time too, I am thinking after just talking with people and ones that have been in my truck with me that it may be a misfiring fuel injector or something. Something that theres 8 of and ones clogged. Sorry Im not mechanically smart so Im going by some advice I get. I have to bring it to the shop to have it tested for that I guess. Ill update you will codes when I get them. Thank you again.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

If you gut the cat doesnt that cause a CEL? Normally if you do that you need a fake sensor. That could be your CEL (check engine light)

Quick Reply: Massive bog down at 30MPH