2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine loses coolant, Freeze Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 03:56 PM
emcee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Thanks Zman - sounds good. I had a bad feeling about supporting the engine by the oil pan. The trouble now is my floor jack slowly sinks with a load on it. Guess I have to work fast.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:11 PM
xray99
Banned

Doesn't sound too good emcee, you really should not work with defective equipment.
I've had floor jacks do that, quick as I notice it I dismantle them and toss them in the garbage.
I suppose maybe they can be rehabbed, most likely with new seals ,,, But I prefer to be on the safe side.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:20 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Jacks are too cheap these days to bother trying to fix.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 PM
xray99
Banned

Originally Posted by zman17
Jacks are too cheap these days to bother trying to fix.
I agree, thats why I take them apart before throwing them away, so a garbage scavenger doesn't come along and pick it up to try to sell for $5.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:09 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i've had some luck with fixing jacks by draining/changing the oil.
if that doesn't fix it, then discard it.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:11 PM
emcee

Will attempt the replacement tomorrow. I went to 3 parts stores before one had the plug in stock. This truck must be getting old. The crazy thing is the prices at the other 2 stores were $42 and $11! For 1 plug. I got it for 92 cents.

Also fixed my jack - it needed fluid added. I paid $100 for this 3 ton jack so I wasn't going to toss it too quick

The plug is just a steel cap. What stops the coolant from flowing around it? Does it back up to an o-ring?

Old 11-10-2009, 08:35 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Put RTV or I like to use permatex indian head gasket maker on freeze plugs. Also, I / we forgot to tell you to get a brass plug, but that one is not as important as the ones on the back of the block.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Marksman

Originally Posted by emcee
Will attempt the replacement tomorrow. I went to 3 parts stores before one had the plug in stock. This truck must be getting old. The crazy thing is the prices at the other 2 stores were $42 and $11! For 1 plug. I got it for 92 cents.

Also fixed my jack - it needed fluid added. I paid $100 for this 3 ton jack so I wasn't going to toss it too quick

The plug is just a steel cap. What stops the coolant from flowing around it? Does it back up to an o-ring?
Well how did it go? I have one leaking a little. Access is a bear. I wire wheeled it and tried to drive it in a bit. Still leaking.
Do these things drive in until they seat? I was surprised how far it went in.
How hard was it to get it started straight in?

Old 11-22-2009, 03:13 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Put RTV or I like to use permatex indian head gasket maker on freeze plugs. Also, I / we forgot to tell you to get a brass plug, but that one is not as important as the ones on the back of the block.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1851831-post26.html

Old 11-23-2009, 08:47 PM
emcee

Originally Posted by Marksman
Well how did it go? I have one leaking a little. Access is a bear. I wire wheeled it and tried to drive it in a bit. Still leaking.
Do these things drive in until they seat? I was surprised how far it went in.
How hard was it to get it started straight in?
Removing the long bolt that goes through the motor mount was a pain. No room to turn the wrench and even with lube it was bound up the whole way out. The old plug popped out pretty easily and considering it wasn't rusted at all - probably too easily and that's why it was leaking. I never really got it started completely straight. It was slightly off after install and it I drove it in as far as the others - the edge ended up slightly below the surface. I cleaned up all around the hole real good and used the liquid gasket maker and so far it doesn't leak. The hardest part was finding the replacement plug. No parts store had the right one and even the 1st dealer I went to didn't have it. I had to drive about 45 miles one way to get it (1-5/8 shallow cup I think).

So other than a blown shop light (antifreeze) so far it was a success.

Quick Reply: Engine loses coolant, Freeze Plugs