2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine loses coolant, Freeze Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 02:34 PM
emcee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new freeze plug is leaking. Maybe it's because I didn't get it installed perfectly even. Maybe I didn't let the liquid gasket set up long enough. Maybe there is a void between the plug and the hole in the block that I didn't notice. Maybe that's why the old one leaked (it wasn't rusted).

I'm not looking forward to this do over. What ever I do this time needs to work. Can someone tell me why I shouldn't use one of those rubber plugs that expand to fill the hole? If there is a chip out of the block that is letting coolant out this may be the way to fix it.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a slow leak from a freeze plug betwwen my engine and tranny....mechanic told me to use stopleak and see if that seals it.....you might want to consider trying it once.....I agree that adding too much can help clog up your system but it seems to have saved me a very expensive (time consuming) repair job....

Old 11-29-2009, 12:03 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
I have a slow leak from a freeze plug betwwen my engine and tranny....mechanic told me to use stopleak and see if that seals it.....you might want to consider trying it once.....I agree that adding too much can help clog up your system but it seems to have saved me a very expensive (time consuming) repair job....
I would have a lot of trouble trusting a mechanic who recommends using one of those band-aids. I'm sure you went with that option because moneys tight, but for a mechanic to recommend that? I wouldn't go back to him.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:01 AM
emcee

Yea I would never use that stop leak stuff either. That's only asking for major problems. I normally wouldn't consider the rubber plug either but other than braising the plug in (and I don't know how to do that), I don't know what else would work.

Does anyone have a success story with the rubber plugs? Ok - Actually I want people to talk me out of using it.

My plan right now is to carefully examine the hole after I get the plug out again and the hole cleaned up. There must be a crack or a chip probably from a previous attempt to remove an old plug. Maybe I can fix it. It is just really hard to get my face close to the hole to study it. Maybe a camera would work.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Marksman

I did mine yesterday. I had to go to several stores to get the right plug. The first one I bought didn't seem tight enough. I got the next size bigger, and the cup is double the depth of the original. The parts guy said that would help it go in straight. It seems very tight and it looks straight. You should be able to see if it is crooked. I haven't refilled mine yet, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I should finish the transmission today, so I'll know soon enough.
My issue with the rubber plug would be longevity. How long would it hold up. If your going back in. I would put in the metal plug.
As far as sealer is concerned. I must admit I have used them in a pinch, I didn't notice any long-term problems. If mine leaks, that's what I will do. Then again I plan on selling in the spring.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:50 AM
Girthy62
Default New to this

Hey Guys I'm in the middle of Buying a 99 1500 and the seller just informed me that the driver side freeze plug was Leaking so, I just need to know how much does this repair usual cost and are their any adverse effects that I should be worried about if I go ahead and buy it.. Thanks in advance

Old 02-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A dollar or so for the freeze plug and whatever a couple gallons of coolant cost.
Which plug is it? Some can be a pain to get at, like the one behind the motor mount.
If one is leaking, the only adverse effect would be loss of coolant and if it were to actually shoot that thing out then you would lose all of your coolant and overheat.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:25 AM
Girthy62
Default So its a self fix

I'm not as Engine Savy As I should be so, so would this be a relatively easy fix or am I better off going to my mechanic?? the seller wants 3500 for it how far should I talk him down..

Old 02-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Dodge4lyfe
Veteran

On my first Intrepid I had a leaking freeze plug on the passenger side of the block, so I took it out and installed a block heater there. It was one of those rubber expanding ones and I never had a problem with it leaking or deteriorating, plus to have a block heater was an added bonus.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

By "which plug is it" I meant, is it out in the open or is it behind something.

Quick Reply: Engine loses coolant, Freeze Plugs