2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

You want to learn how NOT to lift a truck? come inside.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:44 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGRED97
how well do pinion brakes work when mud is over the axle? i understand how the work. and how this truck shouldnt be in the mud at all. but is that all thats supposed to stop that thing?
And while you are in the mud, arent your brakes in the mud anyway?

Old 10-27-2009, 08:22 AM
moparama
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone on here or know of anyone who has use the king off road shocks in a ram to replace the leaf springs and coil springs? me and a friend of mine put them in a 1978 ford that we have been building and we fabricated all the mounting and all that and i was wanting to do it in my ram. just a cleaner look and thing rides like a caddy.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought I would give this thread a big bump. Seems to be people asking about pointless lifts and what not, so this one should be up there.

Not to mention, I think I spied this very same "mess" sitting in front of a shop in pieces the other day. There was too much snow down to really tell, and it's been too cold for me to want to go look.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:10 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mess is an understatement! That thing should be burned where it sits.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:55 PM
lord0fsal3m
Captain

thanks for bumping the thread, i never got a chance to see it. good looking truck but they ruined it with those welds, id love to have the axles and tires off of that thing

Old 01-09-2010, 04:16 PM
codyselcamino
Professional

another "expert" stick welder, if you have to weld to your frame and all you have is a stick welder DONT DO IT!!! atleast there are bolts going through the holes that line up, haha

Old 01-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Weldor
Veteran

Originally Posted by codyselcamino
another "expert" stick welder, if you have to weld to your frame and all you have is a stick welder DONT DO IT!!! atleast there are bolts going through the holes that line up, haha
I weld pressure pipe on the pipelines and all we use is stick, I can weld circles around a mig welder or fluxcore welder with stick. It all depends on what your good with, and you can definitely weld a frame with SMAW if its all you have. Mig is just better for monkeys that can't weld well with SMAW or for fast production.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Weldor
I weld pressure pipe on the pipelines and all we use is stick, I can weld circles around a mig welder or fluxcore welder with stick. It all depends on what your good with, and you can definitely weld a frame with SMAW if its all you have. Mig is just better for monkeys that can't weld well with SMAW or for fast production.
I wanted to say it, but just didn't feel like wasting my time. Hell, all I have to do is go take a written test and I'd be a certed welder. Just not something I want to do.

I too prefer arc to a mig or tig. If done correctly, you can actually get better penetration from arc, and it's a hell of a lot simpler.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:05 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Wow..that's scary. I'm not a expert by far but that looks like a death trap lol. I like the E brake & oil filter lol..not to mention the welds

Old 01-09-2010, 08:16 PM
codyselcamino
Professional

you cant get the penitration with a stick, weldor you probly can because thats your job and thats what you do all day long i know i couldnt, i am an ICAR cerified welder for structural and non-structural repair, but the average person simply cannot get the penitration, every one in my class was an expert on arc welding because they couldnt get any mig welds that were worth the metal they wasted

Quick Reply: You want to learn how NOT to lift a truck? come inside.