2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Issues Again

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Trey318
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Issues Again

Oh boy.. I get in a wreck and then have tranny issues to deal with. The transmission seems to shift from 1-2 alright most of the time, although occasionally, the RPM's will travel up to around 3k before it shifts for some reason. The problem, however, is that it doesn't want to downshift back to 1st. It started only doing this every once in a while at the beginning of the week, but now it's doing this constantly.

Fluid checked out fine, although the dipstick was bent at the bottom, oddly.

Any suggestions as to what this might be? When I changed out the Governor pressure sensor and solenoid, there were a lot of metal particles in the pan. I'm just hoping that the little screen on the sensor isn't clogged again.

I'm planning on replacing the fluid and filter tomorrow, and cleaning things out again. I'm also going to adjust the bands. Anything I should be looking for?

Old 10-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Trey318
Captain

Bump <.<

Old 10-25-2009, 12:34 AM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look up governor cylinoid,, or something like that control the shift

Old 10-25-2009, 03:36 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I might look into trying to prove that her little hit pushed your transmission "over the edge," so to speak. See if her insurance company won't pay for a new tranny.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Trey318
Captain

Originally Posted by dodgeram07
look up governor cylinoid,, or something like that control the shift
I've put in a new one about 2-4 months ago or so.

Originally Posted by jasonw
I might look into trying to prove that her little hit pushed your transmission "over the edge," so to speak. See if her insurance company won't pay for a new tranny.
I could try it, but I don't think that'll fly lol

Old 11-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Trey318
Captain

New fluid, cleaned the already replaced governor pressure sensor and solenoid, and adjusted the bands. Seemed to have helped initially, as the downshifting went away and it started shifting normally, but it seems to be back with a vengeance. <.<

Old 11-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Trey318
Captain

On my drive to school today, the check engine light came on. I got it checked afterward, and it turns out, the governor pressure is out of range. So I suppose the parts I purchased 3 months ago, are already bad. I suppose that indicates crap quality.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:54 PM
mikey0469
Veteran

Originally Posted by Trey318
On my drive to school today, the check engine light came on. I got it checked afterward, and it turns out, the governor pressure is out of range. So I suppose the parts I purchased 3 months ago, are already bad. I suppose that indicates crap quality.
not true!! metal shavings or any other type of grit in the tranny can cause that solenoid to misproperly function. check your pan. get it cleaned out, flushed and put an external in-line filter on it.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trey318
or something else is causing excessive metal shavings that are fumbling up the solenoid or sensor...

Old 11-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Trey318
Captain

When I replaced the solenoid and sensor around 3 months ago, there were some metal shavings and whatnot in the pan and solenoid/sensor. New ATF, sensor, and solenoid and I cleaned out the pan and everything pretty good.

2 weeks ago, I dropped the pan and checked things out. The fluid was pretty clean, but the filter was slightly dirty, so I replaced it. New ATF again, and I dropped the governor body and inspected it. The solenoid was kinda dirty, and my dad cleaned it up a bit. Black crap oozed out of the solenoid, but it finally cleaned up, and everything was reinstalled.

It worked fine again until two days ago, so I'm pretty sure there are no more excessive shavings and whatnot since.

Quick Reply: Transmission Issues Again