2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Suspension Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:31 AM
RedRigRon
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before when I had my stock sway bar, I would grease the two front bushings. This stop the clunking I had. Since then I replace them with Energy bushing kit with grease fitting. I know you said you replace the sway bar components but did you grease the two front bushings holding the sway bar? See where I am getting at?

Anyways just my .

Old 11-22-2009, 08:32 PM
01sportoffroad
Rookie

Are you talking about the bushing that connect the way bar to the frame rails? I replaced the end links with moog endlinks and yes those have been greased. The ones on your frame rail caused a clunking though?

Old 11-23-2009, 01:40 AM
RedRigRon
Rookie

Yes the ones connected to the frame rails. Everyone has different solutions to clunking sounds and this is the one that work for me. It doesn't hurt to give it a try. Best of luck, keep us updated.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:58 PM
01sportoffroad
Rookie

alright i'll have to give that a shot then. That would make sense if it was coming from that though...cuz it seems to only happen on weird suspension flexing.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:00 PM
01sportoffroad
Rookie

Also where did you get the energy bushing kit for the swaybar? and how much did that run you?

Old 11-23-2009, 10:05 PM
RedRigRon
Rookie

I got the wrong kit that had strait end links instead of the L shaped ones. I used the bushings w/ grease fitting from the kit and sold the strait links to the kid down the street. The kit was cheap 25-30, but you already have your Moog end links, so just get the Energy bushings.

This is one I found on Amazon, just make sure its for your truck year.
Amazon Bushings

EnergySuspension site:
http://www.energysuspension.com/

Old 11-23-2009, 10:52 PM
01sportoffroad
Rookie

Sweet Thanks! When i get some more time and money i think it's gona have to be the next suspension upgrades. Not much left to upgrade in that area haha. Did you have to take the whole front sway bar off the truck to put the bushing that attach it to the frame rail on?

Old 11-23-2009, 11:31 PM
RedRigRon
Rookie

Yes, they slid in from the sides. Don't quote me on this but you probably get away with removing one side of the links, grease up the bars and slide into positions.

I would try greasing the stock frame bushing to see if its the problem first. Don't have to remove side links, just unbolt the front bushings.
Process of elimination.

If you stick with the stock depending on how dry and dusty your area is you'll be greasing them constantly. Or else the clucking returns. With the stocks bushing I would unbolt them, open them up (they are like C shaped-Bushings) and apply grease.

That's why I went with grease-able one's with zerk fittings, the grease is retain in the inner groves and last longer.

I sure hope this helps you out, if not I tried my best to help a fellow RAMMER.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:39 PM
01sportoffroad
Rookie

You've been a big help! Thanks! This forum has been one of the best things ever while owning this truck! I will grease up the stock bushings and see what happens. Thanks again for you help Redrigron!

Old 12-05-2009, 08:45 PM
sport 1500
Default front end clunk

I also have a clunk but is only on the drivers side when I go over a big lump in the road.It seems like the suspension is hitting the bump stop.I put new Monroe sensa trac shocks on and nothing changed.Could I have a bad coil spring?Also when it clunks I can feel it on the floor where my left foot rests.

Quick Reply: Suspension Clunk