2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Suspension Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Juvenator93
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Where is the noise coming from? The hub? If so, that is NOT normal. Means "time for a new one".
Yeah, if I jack up the rear axle and pull and push the hub there is a small clunk, identical sounding to when I go over the bumps. I was told it was play in my wheel bearings but that it's normal for some play. Help?

Old 09-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Juvenator93
Professional

Maybe I didn't tighten my leaf springs enough? Anyone know what they should be torqued to? I did have a similar clunk when I first got the truck and just had those plastic pads between the leafs replaced and it was gone!

Old 10-01-2013, 10:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

A little bit of in/out play on the axle is indeed normal. (no more than like a 1/4 inch, and I would consider that excessive as well.)

Can you bounce the truck in the driveway, and get it to make the noise?

Old 10-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Juvenator93
Professional

A little bit of in/out play on the axle is indeed normal. (no more than like a 1/4 inch, and I would consider that excessive as well.)

Can you bounce the truck in the driveway, and get it to make the noise?
No, if I jump up and down on the rear I can't get it to make any noise. It only makes noise going over a bump when the tire is moved in an in & out motion, or when I jack it up and move the tire in and out. also when i back up into something like a curb it makes the same clunk sound. Could it be a bad wheel bearing or something? It almost sounds as if the axle shaft has excess play within the housing? I can't get under there and check until Saturday (my only day off). But i'd like to have a list of things I should check. I appreciate all the help guys!

Old 10-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Juvenator93
Professional

Also, when I turn sharply from a stop I can hear a "squeak squeak squeak" coming from the rear. Only on sharp turns though, when the speed of the rear tires are a bit different (as they should of course, seeing as how I am turning). Or say it is just that 1/4" of play in and out, should I be able to hear it? Thanks again guys!

Old 10-02-2013, 10:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I would be tempted to pull the diff cover, and have a look. Might be as easy as cleaning it out, refilling, and adding some friction modifier. (if you have LSD) If you are getting what you feel is excessive side to side play on one axle, that is DEFINITELY something you want to look in to. Losing an axle at any kind of speed if just FAR to exciting.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Juvenator93
Professional

I would be tempted to pull the diff cover, and have a look. Might be as easy as cleaning it out, refilling, and adding some friction modifier. (if you have LSD) If you are getting what you feel is excessive side to side play on one axle, that is DEFINITELY something you want to look in to. Losing an axle at any kind of speed if just FAR to exciting.
Okay, so take off the cover, take a look, clean and refill and add some friction modifier might be all I need? anything else I should check?

Old 10-02-2013, 04:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Look at the c-clips that hold the axles in place... make sure they are in good condition.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Juvenator93
Professional

Where are these c-clips exactly? how can I tell if they are in good condition?

Old 10-02-2013, 05:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

With the cover off, take a look at the ends of the axles. They will be patently obvious. They are slightly recessed into the diff side gears. If they look beat up, new ones would be a good idea. Once you have it open, just take a look. Any issues should be obvious.

Quick Reply: Suspension Clunk