2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what to look for in a Junk Yard Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Dr Donut
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
if its in the junkyard still in vehicle, most likely its bad. if its good they usually have them ulled and already out of vehicle, thats how i tell
The junkyard down the road for my house (and I can prove this for a fact) sells god only knows how many engines out of the same "low mileage car" Personally I think these dealers should have to fill out some sort of paperwork to insure that this is not going on. Btw last time I called this place they quoted me 300$ for used 3/4ton springs 1ton would have been 4 all I have to say is F.O. to these places.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:50 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan

i'd try to put it on a stand, run power to the starter and do a compression check. if ok, then i'd pull the valve covers and oil pan and inspect, also fix the plenum, replace wp, timing chain, rear seal, oil pump, freeze plugs, and gaskets. all that will be easy with the engine out. this will allow you to inspect everything very closely. if in doubt, carry it to a machine shop and let them inspect it.

all those repairs would be very easy to do with motor out. Ive done them all with motor in, except change the chain. i looked at it though and it ws good. but you can get all that done for like 300 bucks if you do t yourself, and then you'll have a nice motor

Old 10-28-2009, 02:17 PM
RonRacer
Professional

yea. i figured if it was like a cracked head or broken plenum etc. it might still be worth the $210 just to rebulid it myself. but i don't wanna get it and its something i couldn't handle myself...
pull-a-part offers a 30day return for "store credit".. but its like wtf am i gonna get out a junk yard for $200 if its not the engine???

Old 10-28-2009, 03:32 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

like poeple have said, junkyard engines are a gamble, thats why id rebuild it. i wont ever buy a new motor,(unless i was going to rebuild it, but i wont ever run an engine straight from the junkyard) ill build the one i have because i know whats been done to it. but thats just me, uness its a crate motor

Last edited by 95RAM360; 10-28-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:40 AM
RonRacer
Professional

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
like poeple have said, junkyard engines are a gamble, thats why id rebuild it. i wont ever buy a new motor,(unless i was going to rebuild it, but i wont ever run an engine straight from the junkyard) ill build the one i have because i know whats been done to it. but thats just me, uness its a crate motor
well i wasn't hoping to find a motor in a junkyard good enough to just drop in. but i don't want one bad enough where it would cost just as much to rebuild as it would buying a crate motor. and rebuilding my 5.2 just seems pointless when i could spend around the same amount for a 5.9 upgrade.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:19 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
There is no way to tell if a engine is bad by looking at it (Unless a connecting rod is sticking out of the block!). Buying a junkyard engine is a gamble, you really do not know.

Have you considered re-building your current engine? What is wrong with it?

we have a JD diesel with 2 rods through the block...

a fire burnt an external oil line and drained it of all oil

it was an irrigation motor, it had Murphy Switchage oil press. and water temp gauges in it, but for some unknown reason the gauge failed and didn't shut the motor down, the next morning we went to shut it down and found 2 rods through the block

Old 10-29-2009, 03:27 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats amazing. Got any pics?

Old 10-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Dr Donut
Veteran

Originally Posted by 95MaroonMonster
we have a JD diesel with 2 rods through the block...

a fire burnt an external oil line and drained it of all oil

it was an irrigation motor, it had Murphy Switchage oil press. and water temp gauges in it, but for some unknown reason the gauge failed and didn't shut the motor down, the next morning we went to shut it down and found 2 rods through the block
ouch thats not cheap!

Quick Reply: what to look for in a Junk Yard Engine