2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what to look for in a Junk Yard Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:55 PM
RonRacer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to look for in a Junk Yard Engine

So my 98 5.2 has been dying slowly on me. and i've tried everything to bring it back. but i have finally given up on fixing it and have been looking for a 5.9l. i found one yesterday in a junk yard and just wanted to know what to look for in a Junk Yard Engine? how can you tell if its bad or not? what are some tell tell signs? i dont want to bad this engine just to find out its worst than the one i already have. any and all input is welcome

Old 10-27-2009, 03:19 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no way to tell if a engine is bad by looking at it (Unless a connecting rod is sticking out of the block!). Buying a junkyard engine is a gamble, you really do not know.

Have you considered re-building your current engine? What is wrong with it?

Old 10-27-2009, 03:44 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

if its in the junkyard still in vehicle, most likely its bad. if its good they usually have them ulled and already out of vehicle, thats how i tell

Old 10-27-2009, 04:06 PM
RamWood
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
if its in the junkyard still in vehicle, most likely its bad. if its good they usually have them ulled and already out of vehicle, thats how i tell
I have that before too.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah, if its in a junk yard and the body isn't smashed up then it more than likely has a bad engine.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:46 PM
JackJ
Captain

Dont know bout round where you are at, but just recently all the CARS vehicle showed up in mine. They all have crap motors but are labled and or painted. If you use a shady yard then I would not touch a motor for a long long while out of a junkyard.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:11 PM
mikey0469
Veteran

i would see if by some chance you could find out who the previous owner was, if the yard has a title for it or some kind of record to get a hold of them. that is, if the body was smashed in or not drivealbe like sheriff said. if the body isnt, well that leans towards an engine/transmision failure and you dont want that.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:14 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

some junkyards will have the year and mileage written on them. if that info is available, i'd look for one with < 100k on it.

most junkyards will provide a 30 day or 90 day warranty. so if you find something sure enough wrong with it, then they'll get you another one. the trick is to find it before you put money or labor into it, as well as before you install it.

if its a 5.2 or 5.9, you can bet the bank that it needs a plenum repair, and if its the wrong year, then it might need an intake swap also.

i'd try to put it on a stand, run power to the starter and do a compression check. if ok, then i'd pull the valve covers and oil pan and inspect, also fix the plenum, replace wp, timing chain, rear seal, oil pump, freeze plugs, and gaskets. all that will be easy with the engine out. this will allow you to inspect everything very closely. if in doubt, carry it to a machine shop and let them inspect it.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:02 PM
RonRacer
Professional

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
There is no way to tell if a engine is bad by looking at it (Unless a connecting rod is sticking out of the block!). Buying a junkyard engine is a gamble, you really do not know.

Have you considered re-building your current engine? What is wrong with it?
i went offroading sank it down in some water(up to the headlights) and now its not holding oil pressure and the cel is on. i too it to a shop and the cleaned it all out and got it running and had to rebuild the tranny but said it would cost more to go into the engine and find out why it wont hold oil pressure. my mechanics leaning towards engine damage and suggested me replacing it. so thats why i'm looking

thanks for all the advice guys. i'll go check if the place(its pull-a-part) has the info. i couldn't ask any questions last time cuz i got there at closing so they pushed me out. dont really remember if it had any real significant body damage ether.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:29 PM
skostur79

i got a 99 5.9 out of a wrecked van from a recycler
103k on in i saw the van they pulled it out of,

i was planning on rebuilding over the winter,
so i did a leak down test

i had one good cylinder at 15 % the other 7 were 50 %plus
i sent the heads out to the machine shop
it turned out the heads all were cracked inbetween valve seats
i got another set from the yard with a billion more miles on them
have yet to send them out yet