2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer case seals

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Keegan
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fair enough. I almost cursed myself for putting atf in there hahaha.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:08 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dexron III used to be required in the t-case but i guess dodge realized that those seals give out and started saying to use atf 4 so you wouldn't have the dexron and atf mixing with each other.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:57 PM
wolf0994
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there Sheriff I may have the same problem.

I am leaking but it seems like its coming from between the two halves. If that is the case, is there a way to drop just the back half and RTV it rather than removing the whole T-case? I have never removed a T-case before. I am a novice mechanic and I can do it if I have to but I would prefer not too. I do know that my tranny fluid level has not dropped throughout the time I have been leaking so I dont think there is a leak in the seal between the tranny and T-case. I included a couple pics. This has been a very slow leak throughout the summer and I haven't needed to use the 4wheel drive, but now its getting slick and I want to get it fixed. I have had to use 4H a couple times in the last few days and it seems to not like to shift back out of 4H to 2H very easily. There is a long delay sometimes and I want to get this fixed so that I don't cause some damage.

Name:  TransferCase001.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  57.0 KB
I am pointing to the spot that I usually have the majority of fluid, granted its also the lowest spot on the T-case so that doesnt mean much. I just cleaned it off about 30 min prior to this so I could see how quickly it leaks that is why you dont see anything there now.

Name:  TransferCase002.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  56.3 KB
I included this one cuz you can see a little fluid up by the housing that covers the rear splines. So if there is a seal there it may be bad.

I really would prefer to not have to take the T-case out but if its a must is there anyone who can gimme a quick walk through on how to do it?

Last edited by wolf0994; 11-03-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:07 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Removing it is not that hard, get a Haynes manual. But, I wouldn't take it apart if you are just a novice. Why don't you try tightening the bolts holding the 2 halves together first.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:41 AM
wolf0994

Yeah, I just have never played with em. I have pulled a motor, I have replaced just about every accessory on a motor, that kinda stuff. I have never played with a tranny or t-case and I dont want to unless I have to. Not that they should make me nervous but they do. I leave tranny work to the guys who get paid to fix stuff. Not a weekend DIY guy.

I have tried the tightening though. As I mentioned in my 1st post, I think the rear seal may be leaking cuz I see fluid beneath the cover over there.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:52 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry, didn't notice you tried tightening. They are not nearly as complicated as a tranny. Maybe if you download the FSM and read through the TC section, you can replace the gaskets yourself. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...tmas-guys.html

Old 11-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

either today or tomorrow i'm going to do a little write up on how to take it out and change the transfer case input shaft seal and the transmission output shaft seal.

the transfer case is really easy to take out.

yours looks like the seal between the two halves. you could try some rtv or jb weld if you don't feel like screwing with it. the 2001 factory service manual has complete instructions on how to disassemble the transfer case, which is what you would have to do to fix your leak.

the bottom picture looks like the extension housing gasket is leaking.

the delayed shift out of 4x4 could have something to do with the vacuum source that controls the cad unit. the cad unit is what engages 4x4.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:21 PM
wolf0994

Thanks alot. I think it would prob be best to just replace everything since I have to remove it. Does separating it from the tranny mean I am gonna get tranny fluid all over the place? And do I have to remove the tranny as well? I have read a few walk throughs but they were on dakota's or jeeps. Nothing on the ram.

I look forward to seeing your write up and thanks.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by wolf0994
Thanks alot. I think it would prob be best to just replace everything since I have to remove it. Does separating it from the tranny mean I am gonna get tranny fluid all over the place? And do I have to remove the tranny as well? I have read a few walk throughs but they were on dakota's or jeeps. Nothing on the ram.

I look forward to seeing your write up and thanks.
everything includes a lot. seals, bearings, gaskets, sleeves....

separating from the tranny= small atf shower. drain the transfer case first.
when you get the transfer case input shaft clear, some (about 1/2 quart) will drain out and will continue to drain for a while.

tranny stays in the truck. i said it was easy, remember? it'll be supported by a jack stand because you have to take the crossmember off.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:09 PM
wolf0994

Ok, sounds doable. I just downloaded a field service manual I found on here for a 2001. It talks you through a removal but no pics and its not exactly detailed. But it at least gives nice pics of the disassembly of the t-case once it is removed.

And when I said everything I should have been more specific. I meant the seals and gaskets *which I was just gonna RTV red it*.

Quick Reply: Transfer case seals