2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just some random things to make a ram guys feel better about 10mpg

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iwhitne
you forgot the part where you paid for your truck... this makes no sence what so ever!

you can't compare a new vehicle to one that's paid off and get correct numbers!

A paid off vehicle is always going to be cheaper than a new vehicle with payments.

From your logic you could also say that my truck that's 10 yyears old cost less per month than your new car that has a $500 a month payment... anyone can figure that out. If you're going to argue that a new car is not worth the fuel savings.. then you need to compare it to a new truck! I'm sure you spend a lot of money on repairs every year that a new car would not need... a new car may cost your $6,000 a year for payments.. but what's to say that truck you drive blows a motor, or tranny..help $6,000 maintenance bill...

I do agree that the new "gas savers" are a waste of money.. but so is ANY new vehicle! Why pay $50,000 for a new ram.. when I can get one that is 2 years old with 60,000 for $20,000? If you can afford to buy the tuck.. you should be able to afford the gas/diesel to run it. I still don't understand why people are SO shocked when they find out there trucks are only getting 10-15mpg... THEY'RE TRUCKS!!! GAS HOGS!! and go through fuel like a fat kid eating cake!! I've tried everything from fuel mags, to a hydrogen generator and nothing really works well to be worth the investment. When I was using my hydrogen generator I was geting around 22mpg highway at 55mpg following a semi... and I only hit the number once! and the time and energy it took to run maintain the thing was not worth it what so ever... you want a gas saver go buy a 1990 fiesta or aspire.. !
basically the same thing I was trying to say.....
BTW I looked into those hydrogen generators or "joe cells" and they did seem to be touchy to keep running stable and consistently without constant maintenance....they would be more suitable for a home or camp generator running consistent rpm's like a geet/pantone system..
the main idea from these prius type vehicles is they are progress in motion...they are constantly improving off them and learning how to improve from them by building and selling them where owners are real world "testers"
frankly if they lead to a suitable pickup or vehicle I actually like being more fuel efficient (which they already have if you pay attention to all the hybrid suvs popping up) then all the more power to them...

Old 01-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by sungod
One thing that made me feel better about 10mph was when we went to get the christmas tree. All the people in their Prius, Civics, etc. were lined up waiting to spend 20 mins in the cold tying them to the roof. I just pulled up and threw it in the bed and drove off. Maybe 10mpg isn't so bad?
good point but that hardly justifies the extra $3,000 a year in gas....and again your just comparing a car to a truck...you could get a v6 dakota and have the best of both worlds..

My truck is a recreational toy for me....but unless I needed it for work reasons there is no way I'd be foolish enough to drive it everyday and throw all that money away on top of what it costs to maintain.....for low moderate use ok for everyday serious mileage its obsolete....there are lots of cheap alternatives. its like comparing a 50 year old furnace to a ten year old high efficiency model....if you gort the money its a better investment over time.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-13-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Flue
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you purchased a New Prius for the sole purpose of saving money at the pump, the argument works, it was dumb to spend $20K+ to save little more than $1200 a year. I guess you would also have had to dump your "Paid" for gas guzzler in the process.

Comparing the new Prius to the New Ram is a waste of time. What's the argument? The Prius costs less to own? Costs less to run? Costs less to insure? Again, where is the point of comparing the two vehicles?

$6000 for a new engine? Say you paid $6000 to begin with, Cash, done and done. Blow the engine? Now you've got $12000 into the truck. Dam, there goes the tranny. What, $2500 to fix/replace? Now your in for $14500. You spend $6000 a year in payments for 4 years...Maybe 5 if you couldn't afford 4. 6000x4? $24000 vs. $14500. (I didn't feel like adding in Tax's)

But like it has been said. People are DUMB! $600 a month for 48 months "sounds" so much f'ing better than $14500 in 6/12/24 months.

FYI, the "new car to save gas money" argument referenced from Amazon is not new. It's already been argued on all the Money shows, TV and talk Radio.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

but who would buy it for just that purpose?....just about all who go from a ten years olde or older truck to a brand new vehicle are doing it to have a newer more reliable vehicle... is it the best way no....buying a slightly used car is more logical but logic to some means nothing..... It's like trying to argue to someone who smokes that the $150-200 a month they spend on cigarettes is stupid for more than one reason. They just justify it with reasons they already know themselves are BS...just like people use gas mileage to justify new a car purchase when they want to

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-13-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:10 PM
redrider628

after having a tacoma and seeing the build quality of it compared to my ram, im a huge toyota fan but i think the prius is still stupid. anyone heard of the nissan hybrid http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_97757261/ .. a diesel hybrid using capacitors instead of batteries. after reading this article i feel lucky to be getting 14 mpg out of my 5.2 turning 35s, but it also has 4.56 gears to help it. i still use my paid off 4wd tacoma that gets 22 mpg as a daily driver though lol

Old 01-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Eddielx
Professional

I drive around 30k to 40k miles a year.I think that prius is looking really good for me.maybe a used one.I might buy one of them smart cars then I could put it in the bed of my truck to save on parking space.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:57 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
not to mention the law of supply and demand....if more people drove more efficient vehicles the demand would be less causing the price of gas to drop
in theory yes, that would happen, but because its being used less and the oil companies are greedy, the price would go up. as weve seen in past years, and present times.

average around here is around 2.70/g now. but over the summer when people were traveling more around here, prices dropped to almost 1.25/g you cant tell me that theres a shortage of gas in what 6 months time? the prices went up due to less people traveling and using less gas.

Quick Reply: Just some random things to make a ram guys feel better about 10mpg