2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just some random things to make a ram guys feel better about 10mpg

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:47 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 004x41500
im right there with you.

i think 95 should post what hes done.

i really haven't done much to it, i just don't drive with a super heavy foot and right now i'm doing a LOT of highway driving (500 miles a weekend is not uncommon for me)

now, when i'm at work, for sure my mileage is lower (stop & go, short trips, towing, use of 4x4...)

sadly, that 14 i boasted is highway only, but that should go up since i fixed the plenum (nice little oil puddle in the bottom)

Old 01-13-2010, 03:33 AM
lblair04
Veteran

95RAM360- Actually, you should get less than 14 mpg....unless you fill up with exactly 26 gal every time, and you roll to the pump on fumes. Instead, fill it up (dont try to squeeze extra gas into it), reset your trip odometer, go back to the same station (same pump if you can) and fill it up the same way. Take the amount of miles on your trip odometer and divide it by the gallons you put in (or vise versa) and thats your actual mileage. Hope this helps

Old 01-13-2010, 05:27 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why I went out and bought a '95 Suzuki Swift for $1500. It gets 46 mpg without even trying, and i've often get almost 50mpg with it. The money I saved on gas alone paid for the car in a matter of months, and everyday I drive it instead of the pickup saves me money that I can use to do stuff to the pickup. When it craps out on me, i'll throw it away and buy another one. It is so stupid to go buy a brand new care for the single reason of wanting better gas mileage.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:24 AM
97black_ram
Captain

hmmm I've only got 20 gallons to fit when almost empty and get 250 miles to a tank. I average 12-14 mpg's. Great read guys.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 AM
lord0fsal3m
Captain

youd need to do a lot to see an improvement from 10-11 to 14, id do what the other guy said about the trip meter thats what i do. i fixed my plenum, changed my plugs, plug wires, cap & rotor, afe stage 2 CAI, custom flowmaster side exhaust and superchips and i only went from 11.5 to 12.2mpg on a 318 (mostly city driving with a light foot) ill get around 250 with 1/8 tank left

Old 01-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Flue
Veteran

If you want to really see the scary numbers, take those figures and add them again every 5 to 7 years. You'll never see any savings. But it's funny how people boast about their fuel savings after buying that "New" car. Me, I'd rather pay cash for that $5k car/truck and start seeing a savings in ten months instead of 4/5 years. Not making $350 to $500 (that's only on one) a month in payments is a d@mn sight better than saving $1200 a year in gas. We spend about $2400 a year in Fuel for 3 cars, with out a single car payment. I'm at least (if I had $350 payments) $1700 better off at the end of the year. They can have their fancy cars. I'm just fine keeping my "don't cost me hardly Chit" fleet of older vehicles.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:28 AM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing that made me feel better about 10mph was when we went to get the christmas tree. All the people in their Prius, Civics, etc. were lined up waiting to spend 20 mins in the cold tying them to the roof. I just pulled up and threw it in the bed and drove off. Maybe 10mpg isn't so bad?

Old 01-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ok your comparing apples to oranges..... what you should be comparing to be fair is a new ram truck (well over $20,000) to the new prius..(the prius is actually a cheaply priced car).. and you forget to mention the huge cost for new batteries on the prius after like 5 to 7 years.... it really depends on what your using the vehicle....if you drove the prius a lot you could save a fortune in just the lack of constant repairs the trucks would need as well as the gas savings and tax breaks.(would you rather have the same payment every month or a bill out of the blue for 1,700 for a rebuilt tranny? most, not all, would rather payments).. not to mention the law of supply and demand....if more people drove more efficient vehicles the demand would be less causing the price of gas to drop. oh and dont foget to factor in registration fees.... small light efficient cars like my kit car cost me $12 to register for 2 years in NY state...my ram cost me $92 (while a prius would be more than my kit car you get the point)

plus your forgetting the real fact that most people decisions to buy these new vehicles have little to do with being practical and more to do with keeping up with the jones's....Most are getting dumber and less practical with every generation why do you we have so many people unemployeed and borrowing money to pay for things like a data plan for cell phone ,blockbuster account or super cable /sat packaged that are like $150 a month...instead of being responsible and saving money to pay for important things like house payment or rent....

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-13-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:34 AM
99DRAM31887
Veteran

i can get 300 miles on my 35 gallon tank and it cost me 75 running on fumes to fill it up

Old 01-13-2010, 11:52 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you forgot the part where you paid for your truck... this makes no sence what so ever!

you can't compare a new vehicle to one that's paid off and get correct numbers!

A paid off vehicle is always going to be cheaper than a new vehicle with payments.

From your logic you could also say that my truck that's 10 yyears old cost less per month than your new car that has a $500 a month payment... anyone can figure that out. If you're going to argue that a new car is not worth the fuel savings.. then you need to compare it to a new truck! I'm sure you spend a lot of money on repairs every year that a new car would not need... a new car may cost your $6,000 a year for payments.. but what's to say that truck you drive blows a motor, or tranny..help $6,000 maintenance bill...

I do agree that the new "gas savers" are a waste of money.. but so is ANY new vehicle! Why pay $50,000 for a new ram.. when I can get one that is 2 years old with 60,000 for $20,000? If you can afford to buy the tuck.. you should be able to afford the gas/diesel to run it. I still don't understand why people are SO shocked when they find out there trucks are only getting 10-15mpg... THEY'RE TRUCKS!!! GAS HOGS!! and go through fuel like a fat kid eating cake!! I've tried everything from fuel mags, to a hydrogen generator and nothing really works well to be worth the investment. When I was using my hydrogen generator I was geting around 22mpg highway at 55mpg following a semi... and I only hit the number once! and the time and energy it took to run maintain the thing was not worth it what so ever... you want a gas saver go buy a 1990 fiesta or aspire.. !

Quick Reply: Just some random things to make a ram guys feel better about 10mpg