2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hids!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 PM
kane912
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks 004x41500, yes i know cop lights are horrible! they are probably the worst things to see in a rear view, good luck with the hids.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:53 PM
011500Ram
Banned

Don't bother arguing guys. It's obvious that the OP with his ricer blue HID's is from the shallower end of the Gene pool.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:58 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

whoa, 6K hids which is what he has are a pure white light. the ricer blue is a 10K-12K anything higher just gets more purplish. do some reasearch.

it never ceases to amaze me at how people hear HID and automatically assume ricer blue, when infact that is not the case.

i guess its like saying all african americans get welfare, and caucasions dont...yet again it is not the case(no pun intended, just making a point)

Originally Posted by heckman15
i cant wait to get a set of hids for mine. i think they look sweet goin down the road. i do a lot of night driving and everytime i see someone coming at me with them i get jealous. i do a ton of city and country driving and i like em in both atmospheres. plus i always get people that think my brights are on and i have regular lights. they will always flip me off for it on the interstate so ill flash my light and they are still to ignorant to realize i just showed them the difference and i get flipped off again i just laugh. either way u can **** people off its what you like man i say do it. its your truck
of course good point, I pay the insurance premium, and the tab on it, as well as put gas in it every week. I'll do as I please.

and kane yes in the mirror is bad, but its even worse when youre driving, and you see the blue from almost 3 miles away at night, and you get closer and pass by, and youre blind.

nobody complains about that...and those are LEDs

Last edited by 004x41500; 11-03-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:08 PM
011500Ram
Banned

Originally Posted by 004x41500
whoa, 6K hids which is what he has are a pure white light.
Pure white is 5000k. 6000k is blue, take a look at any Kelvin chart and then try to argue that.

it never ceases to amaze me at how people hear HID and automatically assume ricer blue, when infact that is not the case.
and it never ceases to amaze ME how people read something bad about something they like, and will so blindly jump to defend it without the facts.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 011500Ram
Pure white is 5000k. 6000k is blue, take a look at any Kelvin chart and then try to argue that.

and it never ceases to amaze ME how people read something bad about something they like, and will so blindly jump to defend it without the facts.
actually being big into salt water reef tanks I can tell you 6500 k is white (with slight ting of yellow) to human eyes it represents sunlights color temp...a 10,000 k bulb is bluish white and 12,000 k is very blue....14k is purple
a properly calibrated television is calibrated to 6500k color temp...(go ahead and google it) because its the most natural white close to daytime light...and the same can be said about bashing something just because of prejuduce by refering to ever mod sometimes seen on a newer streetracer or foriegn car as being a ricer mod....
If installed in a housing thats made for them HID's are a better performing headlight when kept below the 9k colortemp range....the higher ones actually make it harder to see at night because blue is not an ideal color temp to distunguish whats what at night.

actually that chart even says 6500k is rgb monitor white....look at the white of your monitors background...then change it to the 9300k color temp setting and see how much bluer the white background looks...when you go back to 6500k the white looks dull and yelllowish.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-03-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 PM
011500Ram
Banned

OEM HID is 4300k, period.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:23 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker

no, all your charts differ, one shows pure blue, one shows slight blue tint, and the other puts 6500K at your computer monitors WHITE.

so how are your charts defending your case, if they all differ, if it was a TRUE kelvin chart they would all be EXACTLY the same. with NO Difference.

Almost like a science experiment, for it to be legit you should be able to do it 1,000,000 times and STILL get the SAME result.

did you also forget to include the fact that NOT one mfg. is the same as another. I'm basing my information off of hidextra.com, the current promo on HIDs going on for members here.

and how do you figure im reading something bad about what i like, and blindly jumping to defend it?

im not so sure that your bulb is lit.

maybe its time for a set of HIDs

heres a taste of your own medicine, but wait, this chart too is different from ALL three that you posted.

yet again heres another.

Originally Posted by 011500Ram
OEM HID is 4300k, period.
yes, and those too have a yellow tint to them.
ever looked?

how bout this chart?

Last edited by 004x41500; 11-03-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

ok, so youre telling me that you dont like to be able to see at night?
did you ever stop to think that projectors are just plain ugly? im sorry, but i dont like seeing a big ball in the middle of my headlight. sorry. im not gonna fork out money to buy something i dont like...as you should also choose to do...obviously youre not gonna change the guys mind so why do you eve bother to try? personally i dont like the projectors, because in my truck, i get blinded by the factory projectors.

Your case of a more focused beam with OEs are right, but when you add more light, it too gets focused into that same beam regardless. thats the way the housing is designed, so how does this cause any problems?

i get more blinded by the cops led light bars than anything, why arent you complaining about that?

look were all here for one thing...to gain knowledge, if you dont like something state it, then let it be. dont keep ranmbling on about how its blinding, i mean seriously, you say youre an "adult," yet you neglect to act like one, and just drop it.

'nuff said.

oh, did you also forget to note that diferent areas have different laws regarding lights?

HIDs would make my life alot better since i drive down alot of single lane dirt roads, with a 20 ft ditch on either side.

i will be getting HIDs soon as well. 6K bixenons.
ok... you werent listening to what I was saying I've got nothing against HID lights I've stated that already! I was complaining about using the factory light fixtures for HID's as when I see someone with them I can tell right away they are the wrong lights for the fixtures the older halogen style light fixures were designed for halogen lights they had a textures lense that difused most of the light inside and even though its focused there the amount of stray light outside this focused area is higher and thats because when you have the duller lamp it wasnt very distracting to other drivers.... all the HID's I see that were designed to be HID's seem to have the light more directed to the road and they usually have a clear lense with something blocking the upper part of the bulb deflecting downward or they are projectors which when actually adjusted right are the least obtrusive to oncoming traffic because they have the sharpest most defined cutoff point to focus the light into a more efficient concentrated beam.

Some You guys are funny.... you discriminate about things with comments like ricey ...(they are called Eurostyle lights because the style is from europe BTW) The real reason many here are afraid to get them just because they are insecure about other thinking their truck is somehow less manly or something is they do something to make it look outside the normal stereotype..... and a lot of it is because of the close minded outspoken people who comment like this everytime something like this is brought up....
To be honest with you I find it funny that you think projectors are "ricey" looking but HID's are somehow not?
even the new vette has projector headlights, there's nothing "Ricey" about them....yet there are more Japanese streetracer lookalike cars out there with HID's than projectors?

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-03-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

no, all your charts differ, one shows pure blue, one shows slight blue tint, and the other puts 6500K at your computer monitors WHITE.

so how are your charts defending your case, if they all differ, if it was a TRUE kelvin chart they would all be EXACTLY the same. with NO Difference.

Almost like a science experiment, for it to be legit you should be able to do it 1,000,000 times and STILL get the SAME result.

did you also forget to include the fact that NOT one mfg. is the same as another. I'm basing my information off of hidextra.com, the current promo on HIDs going on for members here.

and how do you figure im reading something bad about what i like, and blindly jumping to defend it?

im not so sure that your bulb is lit.

maybe its time for a set of HIDs

heres a taste of your own medicine, but wait, this chart too is different from ALL three that you posted.

yet again heres another.

yes, and those too have a yellow tint to them.
ever looked?

how bout this chart?
the true scientific chart color and what the human Eye percieves are two different things but as you basically confirmed what I was trying to say 6500k is white not blue to the eye

Old 11-03-2009, 10:02 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker

i understand what youre saying, but for someone on a budget HIDs in a stock housing will suffice.

and i wasnt commenting on the "riceyness" of them, i just dont like projectors period OE or aftermarket, and yes i do also plan on a set of new lens but they will be a clear 1 piece.

yes, i know that the chart and human eye differ, but i was also supporting your claim that ~6K is white, and not a blue as 011500ram was stating.

Last edited by 004x41500; 11-03-2009 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Hids!!