2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Steering Fluid looks like mud?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:56 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid looks like mud?

so when i used the MCCC, i noticed a slight whine comming from my PS pump. i checked the fluid, and it looks like mud (light brown). now i know theres a DIY on how to flush these, but how could it get like this? its at the perfect level, so i cant see how water from off roading got into it.

is it possible its the origninal fluid from 95???

Old 11-09-2009, 06:25 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be the original fluid not many people think to change it when they get their service done, it just gets discoloured with wear that's all. Disconect one of the lines at your PS box (I can't remember which one) and with the cap off and engine running have a friend turn the wheels back and forth while you pour new PS fluid into the pump. have a pail on the floor catch all the old fluid that comes out. Keep doing this untill it comes out clean fluid.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:00 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

disconnect the return line (the one with the basic hose clamp on the end). Pop that off, grab a small bucket and start her up with the hose in the bucket. I'd highly suggest have someone else start your truck and you ready with a funnel as I would try not to run the pump dry. Pour in is its shooting out

Old 11-09-2009, 08:38 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

alright appriciate the help. ill drain and clean her tomorrow

Old 11-09-2009, 09:03 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
alright appriciate the help. ill drain and clean her tomorrow
I'm in the same boat... but what sucks is the mopar power steering fluid is clear so its harder to flush out. I clearly didn't get all of mine out... mine looks like motor oil lol... But again with a clear fluid its harder, and not to mention expensive. So i poured a few bottles of cheapo powersteering fluid in. then followed with some mopar stuff, then hooked it up and topped her all off. Wish ya luck.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:30 PM
MAJohns
Captain

speaking of power steering pump i will tell you the damnedest thing. about 3 months after i bought my truck my wife was turning around on the side of the road and the power steering went out i fought it back home and after further investigation i noticed that it wasn't pumping so we took it apart and found the shaft was sheared in half! how in the hell does that happen?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by MAJohns
speaking of power steering pump i will tell you the damnedest thing. about 3 months after i bought my truck my wife was turning around on the side of the road and the power steering went out i fought it back home and after further investigation i noticed that it wasn't pumping so we took it apart and found the shaft was sheared in half! how in the hell does that happen?
Honestly... I did the same thing. It happened when I got stuck while off roading. I threw it in 4lo and was rocking my steering back and fourth trying to get traction. I guess it didn't like being rev'd up real high. The pump seized and the serpentine belt said **** you, and sheared it off inside. It broke clean so the shaft stayed in the pump and was still drivable I popped the hood expecting to see the belt screwed up but it was still attached and spinning freely. I went to the junkyard next day because I was strapped for cash. Picked up a pump for 25 and installed it. Thats where I got a good amount of dirt, plus the overheated fluid I guess from the pump seizing so thats why I flushed mine. Once that pump started to whine real bad, I flushed it using that pump and bolted on a new one. It wasn't until I was using the tool to remove the pully that i realized what had happened. I have the pulley shaft in my room I kept as a souvenir, and returned the stock pump for the core charge. I never heard of anyone else doing it so im glad to know im not alone

Old 11-09-2009, 10:01 PM
MAJohns
Captain

yea we were just doing a normal drive down in the ditch and up in the road turn around and it happened so i pulled it of the next morning drove to the parts store and barrows tools to take the tank off and put the new one together drove home and installed it.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:25 PM
2001Ram
Captain

I have heard you are supposed to use ATF fluid? Whats the best stuff to use?

Old 11-10-2009, 04:36 AM
joekool4
Professional

i have a leak in one of the hoses that i need to find but until then im just using advanced autoparts brand power steering fluid

Last edited by joekool4; 11-10-2009 at 04:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid looks like mud?