2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 5.9 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 01:13 AM
noah53
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 5.9 won't start

I just bought a 97 ram 1500 4x4, I picked it up cheap because the transmission was out. I changed the fluid and adjusted the bands and it shifted just fine.
Now for the current problem: after driving it around for a few miles the check engine light came on it was a code for the governer pressure senser in the trans. On the way home the trans temp light came on, I was only about 2 miles from home so I drove it home. As I pulled into the driveway the engine died ( it was not hot only the trans) It started back up but only for a few secounds and then wouldn't start again. checking fuses I found that the 20a fuse for the fuel pump was blown so I replaced it and the engine started and died 2 times then nothing.
At that time I noticed all but the oil pressure light did not come on anymore when I turned on the key no check engine or any other lights. The engine now has no spark and the fuel pump isn't running when you turn the key, I tried pouring some gas into the throttle body but nothing. I did find the reason the trans overheated was because the cooling line check ball was stuck I have replaced that.
I am thinking it's the PCM but I would apreciate any Ideas I am completly stumped and I don't want to just start throwing parts at it. Thanks

Old 11-14-2009, 12:48 PM
noah53

To update I just tried to get any codes that might be in the computer but the reader says it can't establish a link. Checked and rechecked all fuses and relays unless there's a fusable link I don't know about I Guess I'll order a new PCM.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:57 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

sounds like the Automatic Shutdown Relay is tripped. and now the truck is in limpmode due to the trans overheating...thats my guess.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:00 PM
noah53

OK so were is the auto shutdown relay and how do I check it or reset it?

Old 11-14-2009, 08:03 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

i havent run into the problem myself, but i read pretty much all the threads, and posts i can to learn as much as i can.

And in the end this is what it sounds like, use the search function, i know theres plenty of threads on the ASD

Old 11-19-2009, 12:42 AM
noah53

Well it was the PCM bought a raman and the truck runs great. Unfortunatly the Trans is completly gone. Well I expected to repace it anyway so still not a bad deal. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:21 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by noah53
Well it was the PCM bought a raman and the truck runs great. Unfortunatly the Trans is completly gone. Well I expected to repace it anyway so still not a bad deal. Thanks for the help.
How much was the PCM and, did you have to flash it or, did they already pre load a tune into it? I have a intermittent PCM that is not controlling the timing due to a bad control driver. I just found this out last week in fact after troubleshooting it down to the component level. I need to replace mine and, the dealer cost is around 450 bucks not including the flash which is another 100.00.

Let me know where you got yours and how much it was.

CM

Old 11-19-2009, 12:22 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

After thinking about this and how the PCM was replaced, it may not have been a bad PCM. The truck is working now most likely due to the fact that the new PCM does not have those DTCs and is not killing power to the ASD relay. This is why it fired right up and ran ok, just like it did with the last PCM until it was driven and tripped a DTC for the tranny.

Next time, you can simply clear those out and start it back up. I believe it was due to the errors while driving it and, it tripped the ASD relay just like someone else mentioned.

This is a failsafe mechanism that kills all power. In the case of while it's running, it will go into limp mode so that it doesn't kill power while your on the freeway. When it senses that there's no speed and it's in park, it will then execute the command at the PCM to cut power to the ASD relay.

This is what I think your issue was with it not being able to start once you got it home. You may find that the old PCM is good.

Last edited by cmckenna; 11-19-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:54 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

I found a supplier for top quality ECUs and ordered one this morning. Lifetime warranty, top quality components used throughout, flashed and ready to drop in. Should be here next week. So, I am all set.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:15 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

how much did that run

Quick Reply: 97 5.9 won't start