2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Good fuel rails and injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 12:10 AM
nathangfnd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good fuel rails and injectors?

Im wanting to buy some aftermarket fuel rail and injectors for my truck.

I cant seem to find anything for our engines. Does anyone know of a good brand or place to buy them.

And injectors, i waslooking on hughes and they have like 7 different kinds. from 21# to 40#....can i ask what the differences are and what would be best.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:58 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hughesengines, KRC performance, Southeast Performance, Mancini Racing, Mopartsracing, etc. Campbell Enterprises has lots of stuff for old school Mopars.

Just google Mopar parts instead of Dodge and you'll get much further.

Injector size will need to increase when you reach a certain power threshold. It's confusing to compare them to say the least. Injectors are rated at the lbs. of fuel it can move in an hour. BUT, the lbs./hr can change when the PSI of the fuel system changes. For instance:

Most aftermarket manufacturers us 43.5 PSI to determine the lbs/hrs. Ford Motorsports uses 39 PSI to rate their injectors, and Mopars all use 49 PSI as the standard.

The stock injectors move 22.5~23.2 lbs./hr depending on the model year. That's at 49 PSI. A ford 19lbs injector (which is was a very popular mod to increase the fuel just a pinch) runs 23.87lbs in a Mopar. The formula to figure out the flow is:

stated injector lbs/hr X (49psi/stated psi from injector manufacturer) = Mopar adjusted lbs/hr.

The 49 PSI is the fuel pressure standard for Mopar and remains constant. Because Mopar runs a higher PSI than anyone else, the injector lbs/hr will always be greater in a Mopar engine than stated, unless you're using Mopar injectors. Be sure you get the facts from a seller and double check the math yourself. And avoid any and all injector/hp calculators or charts you come across that claim to tell you what injector you need at what HP. Those are designed to sell injectors, not to assist you. When you factor in injector duty cycles, everything changes.

Remember when I said Ford Injectors used to be a good mod to bump fuel up? On Old school engines, there is some art and benefit to swapping injectors when your HP increases to a certain level. On OBD-I and II engines, customizable tuning options like the SCT tuner and B&G computer flashes have made injector "tuning" obsolete. The programmer can adjust duty cycles to fire the injector longer and add more fuel. The only reason to swap is when the injector cannot fire enough fuel in the time that the intake valve is open to create the appropriate air/fuel charge.

Quick Reply: Good fuel rails and injectors?