2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What should an engine swap cost?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:18 PM
21BFLNG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry mopar, I'm way down in FL. Kinda a far trip for you to just get drunk.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:32 PM
99dodge360

I just pulled and replaced my engine about a month ago. It took me 4 to 5 hours and everything is pretty much plug and play. I don't have any idea what year the motor I put in was because it was a reman with 1200 miles on it. The only connector that I had problems with was the oil pressure sending unit which had a different style connector. I went and bought the one that came in my truck originally and put it in. If you take your time you can do as good, if not better than any mechanic, plus you get the experience and satisfaction from doing it yourself.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:10 PM
21BFLNG

99dodge- what points did you pick to attach your hoist to? I found a good solid one up front but am at a lost for where to bolt it to in the rear.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:16 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no personal experience on this motor, but check the exhaust manifold holes in the head.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:28 PM
moparama
Veteran

I took a chain and went through one exhaust manny over engine and around other manny on front side of the manifolds that is

Old 11-18-2009, 09:49 PM
99dodge360

I attached to both manifolds, left rear bolt and right front bolt.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Eddielx
Professional

I think if you are not getting a new or rebuilt engine and that if they swap it for you and it doesnt run youll be out that $1250.You can't expect them to warranty a used engine.
No special tools are needed to swap it but If you never worked on a car before you might need to call in one of your friends to help out.My first swap I used a forklift because I didnt have a engine hoist.My friend used a tree and a come along winch

Old 11-19-2009, 07:32 PM
MrWho

Man, I would love to get paid over a grand for a days worth of playing with tools.

It's not "Hard" to do yourself, it just gets easier with experience. You'll prob. make unplanned trips to the auto-parts, or tool shop, and you'll curse yourself a lot. Worth it to spend 2-3 days doing it. WITH experience it can be done in half a day, like previously said, but you'll spend a few days doing it. Swapping out connectors will be a likelihood like said before, too.

Then again, you may be like some people here think they are and have no problems, the very first time you do something like this. Then somehow you'll instantaneously understand and have full knowledge of every step as it unfolds before your eyes, and then you'll finish in a matter of a few hours. That would be incredible, huh? Amazing how easy their first engine swap was, if they did one, ever. Maybe they just can't remember they weren't so badarse at one time?

I think the labor is high, considering they probably wont supply anything. Just call around and get other prices. You don't know until you compare. Go up to 100-200 miles around your house too, smaller areas may be willing to do it for less, and still back the work with a good warranty.

I don't know much, just a noober here. My two cents.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:23 PM
Willsdodge
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Really dude.

Originally Posted by Gary-L
If it's so "ridiculous" then why don't you swap it yourself? It drives me nuts when people complain about what a shop charges to perform certain tasks. The work involved with be more than just swapping engines.

Either way, do it yourself or be quiet and pay up.
Be nice or be quiet, some people cannot afford those amounts, and do not have the technical abilities to perform such a task.

The following users liked this post:
Mc62 (11-20-2021)
Old 04-07-2020, 03:44 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Willsdodge
Be nice or be quiet, some people cannot afford those amounts, and do not have the technical abilities to perform such a task.
Really? You replied to a post made over 10 years ago! Pay attention to dates before posting useless content.

Quick Reply: What should an engine swap cost?