2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tilt column problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:27 PM
chopperkid74
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tilt column problems

anyone have problems with their tilt columns? I have a 99 SLT and yesterday I had trouble getting the wheel to tilt, and today it finally went out for good. I haven't had a chance to take it apart but I am guessing that the mechanism has a plastic tab or something that broke.The lever was sloppy and I could move it around without being able to bring the wheel down. Anybody ever replace one? Also anyone know how much they are worth?

Old 11-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Baddnet
Professional

Easier to just replace the whole column IMO... ebay has them listed.. not sure what options you have ..like cruise or what... But call around some yards... get price local..not hard to replace..its all plug an play...

Old 11-20-2009, 12:13 PM
chopperkid74
Rookie

took it apart this morning, man I got lucky, well I guess luckier than having to replace the whole column. I noticed the threads on the end of the lever were kinda pooched but I guess over the years it had come loose more than a few times and screwed the threads on the other end too. I'll just get a new lever and re-tap the threads. It's cheaper than a whole column, I just got laid off I can't afford it.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Baddnet
Professional

Way cool.. so it was not really broke.. just didnt have enough bite in the threads to adjust it.. good deal

Old 11-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Baddnet
Way cool.. so it was not really broke.. just didnt have enough bite in the threads to adjust it.. good deal
Pretty neat how he diagnosed the problem rather than just spending gobs of money and throwing out the baby with the bathwater, eh? You should think of that next time you try to "advise" someone.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:12 PM
chopperkid74
Rookie

since like I said, I just laid off ( been a certified Harley tech for awhile now but the economic down turn for "toys" hit us in Canada too) I was seeing $$$$ but I thought I would take it apart and see what's what. I could see how much trouble it would be if something internal broke and it would be easier to replace the column. I guess I got lucky. Besides...all I have now is time to work on my truck...too bad now I just can't afford it!

Old 11-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Baddnet
Professional

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Pretty neat how he diagnosed the problem rather than just spending gobs of money and throwing out the baby with the bathwater, eh? You should think of that next time you try to "advise" someone.
haha.. your funny..

Old 11-20-2009, 01:21 PM
chopperkid74
Rookie

oh yeah forgot to mention... I just called my local Dodge stealership and the levers are about $ 15 canadian...in case anybody wanted to know what they are worth.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Baddnet
Professional

Originally Posted by chopperkid74
since like I said, I just laid off ( been a certified Harley tech for awhile now but the economic down turn for "toys" hit us in Canada too) I was seeing $$$$ but I thought I would take it apart and see what's what. I could see how much trouble it would be if something internal broke and it would be easier to replace the column. I guess I got lucky. Besides...all I have now is time to work on my truck...too bad now I just can't afford it!
I heard that.. everyone is hurting for cash now days..US is no better.. was layed off from my job of 15 years... because dealership went under.. .. sorry that someone thinks I gave you bad advice..lol.. but I can tell you took my advice ...just like you should have as worst case.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:36 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same thing happened to my truck. But for me it wasn't the tilt steering. It was the side mirrors. If I went over 50 mph, the mirrors would shake violently. I opened it up and sure enough, the threads that were holding it together were shot to hell. Retapped them suckers and now it's as solid as a rock.

Quick Reply: tilt column problems