2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Snow plowing in a lifted truck anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 06:00 AM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like a good idea,.. My Boss plow beats the snot out of my truck.
(And I'm gentle using it)! Weighs WAY too much I think for my truck.
Every spring I have to replace my front shocks because I've wore them out.
Trans-cooler and a 2 inch lift on my 1500 4x4. It's only 250 lbs? Put one
on the front and one on the back then!

Old 11-27-2009, 12:38 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Happy Black Friday!!

Just got back from Habor Freight and got a super deal on my winch!

Got a 3,000# Wireless winch for $49.99 !!!

Comes with everything you need and it's wireless!
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=95912

Here's the rest of the sales
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...2&keycode=0000

I'm going to look at a 7ft blade this weekend.. guy wants $75 for it... I'd like to find an 8ft.. but 7 will work!! My adapter should be in early next week... I'll post some pics shortly thereafter!

Old 11-27-2009, 02:01 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds good.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:34 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

Just got back from the local junk yard! Picked up a used 8' scraper blade! only $106.25 with tax! Should have the plow thrown together next week!

Old 11-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeboy7
Really dont mean to sound like an a$$ but plowing with 1500 a bad idea but a dodge come on we all know the trans are junk and dont like it. Yea that thing got to be super little compare to a real plow but still.
I know what you mean by your to lazy to do by hand it sucks so i got my own sears tractor 14hp for free rebuilt a 18hp briggs engine and slap that on there with alot of lights and welded a plow i got for free, change the pulls around (for speed hehe) It so nice to have i maybe have 100$ into it and when i am away my mom plows the drive way with it. It that easly to use.
I plowed with an auto 98 1500 /318 ram (when new)for three seasons (including a plaza,large restuarant and apartment building and about 5 houses in buffalo area...with no issues at all except I wore out the universals on the rear drive shaft..(we did use the lighter series plow blade on it)... they are not as whimpy as everyone carries on about they are just a bit overcomplicated with the electrical sensors and soleniods that are prone to fail or plug up....

Old 11-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iwhitne
Happy Black Friday!!

Just got back from Habor Freight and got a super deal on my winch!

Got a 3,000# Wireless winch for $49.99 !!!

Comes with everything you need and it's wireless!
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=95912

Here's the rest of the sales
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...2&keycode=0000

I'm going to look at a 7ft blade this weekend.. guy wants $75 for it... I'd like to find an 8ft.. but 7 will work!! My adapter should be in early next week... I'll post some pics shortly thereafter!
You got the winch for the plow right?....I dont know how well that would hold up being used continuosly like that.....I like harbor frieght and all but many of their products dont handle heavy use well....

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-27-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:16 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
You got the winch for the plow right?....I dont know how well that would hold up being used continuosly like that.....I like harbor frieght and all but many of their products dont handle heavy use well....
Yeah.. for $10 I got a two year in store replacement plan... I'm only going to use it for my mid size drive.. and maybe my in-laws small drive... don't plan on doing any serious plowing... I figured it will work for what I need... and if not.. I can always get a different winch.. or even get a hydro set-up... but I'm sure a winch will work fine... we'll see

Old 11-28-2009, 02:01 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

Just went out an took a few pics of my progress

Old 12-03-2009, 04:49 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

well my last part came in today.. had to tweak it to get it to work.. but it does... I def think I need a larger winch for sure.. but I'm going to try and get some pulleys to see what that does... anyways.. got it hooked up to the truck and it "works" slow but it goes up and down... lots of weight to lift at such a sharp angle.... I going to mess with it tomorrow.. going to get some parts tonight.. right now I think it would be fine for my drive.. but I don't think it's road worthy yet... need some safety chains and such so the winch doesn't have to hold all the weight while traveling... on my way to TSC to get some parts and will try and take some pics tomorrow and maybe even some video

Quick Reply: Snow plowing in a lifted truck anyone?