2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bonking sound at right rear end

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Patrick de Heer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bonking sound at right rear end

My 1999 ram 1500 makes a strange bonking sound when I drive over a bumpy road or when I do a right turn. not always, it looks like it doing it when the right rearend isn't under load.

I thought i where the axel bearings so I replaced them with new repairbearings, but the sound still excists.

Also (I don't know if this is correct) the axel has abit of excessive play, I can, If I jerk hard, feel play in the axel. the diskdrum hits the axel. and looks like the sound I here when I drive.

I think that I've checked everything: springs,shocks,diff.

I also have tried to get the sound by jerking the rearend or jump on the flatbed but no sound.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:53 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

is it a 4wd and what size motor?
also can you be a bit more descriptive on the sound its making and can you pinpoint an area where its comming from?

Old 11-24-2009, 06:02 PM
silverbullet-dodgeram
Veteran

like 95 ram said need more info but maybe ur spider gears but that should be more of a pop defiantly need more info

Old 11-24-2009, 07:30 PM
billywilly92

When you say you can feel play do you mean that the axle is rotating up and down?

Old 11-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

So far, I'm thinking it's the U-Joints.

Check to see if there is any play. If you have a two wheel drive, it could be the carrier joint(I think it's called), look to see if there is play there as well, that is a likely thing to go out on 2X4s.

The Carrier Joint is on the driveline, it looks like a metal circle with rubber on the inside. I hope that's a good enough description..

Old 11-25-2009, 01:12 AM
Patrick de Heer
Default Bonking sound

It's a 2wd with a 5.2l engine, its got 140.000 miles.

It's looks like if the sound is comming from the right side at the rear end(wheel)
when I hit a bump it's sounds like if the axel hits the bottom of the truck.
In the corners It's sounds like if the rear axel schifts and the breakdrum is hitting the axelshaft.

Excessive play:If I pull on the right wheel you can feel that;s it coming a little towards you and when you push it back again you feel that the drum is hitting the axel.
is it possible that the pingeon in the differential has worn out?

Old 11-25-2009, 07:33 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

side to side axle play comes from the c-clip slot. its normal for that to slide in/out an 1/8 inch or so. but the brake drum shouldn't be hitting anything. the tire is bolted to the hub/axle, which moves in/out a little. the brake drum should just go along for the ride.

i don't think its pinion or carrier bearings or it'd be roaring like hell.

do you have a limited slip differential. might be a problem going on there.

check the clearance between axle and bump stop. is the spring sagged and bump stop hitting ?

how about the leaf springs themselves. are any broken ?

how about the leaf springs bushings ? any broken or dry. give em some spray lithium grease.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

here's another thought, is the spare tire tight? take it off and throw it in the bed then go on a trip to see if you still hear the noise.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Patrick de Heer

Normal diff without limited slip and No spare tyre under the truck,or broken springs.
Now that I've checked most of the parts it also seem that the sound is deffently from the rightside but it could be coming from the front.

Quick Reply: bonking sound at right rear end