2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got Me Some Brand New Goodyears!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Ram_Me
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just saying how every time I go to ANY repair place (usually with someone else) the guys there go, "well, we replaced your battery but we saw that your battery cables are frayed, your drivebelt is worn, your radiator hoses are drying out, your oil is dirty and your brakes and rotors are worn............. Would you like to fix that now??

I pay pretty good attention to my truck, and I'm glad that's the best they could come up with.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

So I took the bug protector off. Only had to take off some of the grille to get it off. The hood under the protector looked really messed up. Probably the biggest thing stopping me from taking it off:
(It was pretty consistent with looking like this)

But, it came off easy with some rubbing compound. Here is how it looks now:
Name:  1202091504.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  149.7 KB

Upon looking at the bolts holding the grille on, I found that the grille is broken on several parts where the bolts are. The sides aren't attached how they're supposed to be, and they're kinda hanging off. So now I've been looking for a replacement for the grille, I want one that isn't going to do this again, at least for a long time. The best I've found was an all chrome one for $90 at LMC. Has anyone seen anything along these? I wanna stick with the stock look.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:20 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Looks much better!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

Originally Posted by olyelr
Looks much better!
I think it does too! The thing stopping me was just that residue under the shield. It took awhile, but it came off!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram_Me
So I took the bug protector off. Only had to take off some of the grille to get it off. The hood under the protector looked really messed up. Probably the biggest thing stopping me from taking it off:
(It was pretty consistent with looking like this)

But, it came off easy with some rubbing compound. Here is how it looks now:

Upon looking at the bolts holding the grille on, I found that the grille is broken on several parts where the bolts are. The sides aren't attached how they're supposed to be, and they're kinda hanging off. So now I've been looking for a replacement for the grille, I want one that isn't going to do this again, at least for a long time. The best I've found was an all chrome one for $90 at LMC. Has anyone seen anything along these? I wanna stick with the stock look.
I'm pretty sure the all chrome one is plastice just like the replacement one I bought from an autoparts store for $53 shipped on ebay..... I'm not sure but I highly doubt their is any oem look grills out there made better than the actual plastic oem grill.....
LMC has a huge markup....like the service at goodyear

Old 12-02-2009, 11:06 PM
011500Ram
Banned

The plastic grille is very durable. Most steel grilles people replace them with pit and rust like crazy. That's what China chrome buys ya.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

Haha, that's why I was asking if there was anything better that anyone's seen. Has anyone bought this replacement? I would definitely like to know if it is an "All Chrome Grill" like the ad says.

Oh, by the way, when the guy told me what was 'wrong' with the truck, I didn't have them do anything about it. I kind of think all auto shops have huge markups, unless you have some sort of connection or you happen to find a genuinely fair place.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

I thought the grille on my old truck was pretty durable, but this one was splitting as I was LOOSENING a bolt. Plus, I don't really have to worry about rust, since I live in Phoenix, Arizona (it was still in the 100s until late October) and I keep my truck pretty clean.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram_Me
Haha, that's why I was asking if there was anything better that anyone's seen. Has anyone bought this replacement? I would definitely like to know if it is an "All Chrome Grill" like the ad says.

Oh, by the way, when the guy told me what was 'wrong' with the truck, I didn't have them do anything about it. I kind of think all auto shops have huge markups, unless you have some sort of connection or you happen to find a genuinely fair place.
They are banking on you thinking that way. But not all do, like I said I got a great grill shipped for less than half of what it would have been shipped from LMC...no connections I just shopped around and did my homework.
and fyi chrome is just a coating you can chrome plate plastic..(it least its considered chrome plating)...our oem grills cwere plastic with a foil film with clear film over it...thats why it wrinkles up on many older rams like my original one was..
my replacement grill is chrome plated plastic

Old 12-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

Hmmm.. I don't know why I didn't remember you said that. Do you have a seller name or business name or anything?

And by the connections thing I meant the mechanics auto shops. I can't even begin to tell you how much money I've saved doing work myself.

Quick Reply: Got Me Some Brand New Goodyears!