2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What's a fair asking price for my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rideordie
Most of my buddies with fords don't have to do much to theirs. As with the dodges..But man, the ones with the chevys seem like they have problems left and right.

At least my Ram is American
Lucky! mines mexican made like most 1500's

I think thats because chevy tried to get fancy and made things too complicated..more to go wrong and fail. Like my old lincoln town car...it had so many gizmos and most of them didnt work half the time....like the stupid air ride

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-03-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:11 PM
rideordie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Lucky! mines mexican made like most 1500's

I think thats because chevy tried to get fancy and made things too complicated..more to go wrong and fail. Like my old lincoln town car...it had so many gizmos and most of them didnt work half the time....like the stupid air ride
Air ride suspension? We put some on our RV..Phew that stuff's awesome. Kinda expensive, but def. softens up the ride a LOT.

Yeah Dodge designed a pretty good truck if you ask me. Just wish they would care a little bit about things like the cracked dashs (I must of missed that year - my dash is fine) and the plenum. But then again, I don't think Ford/Chevy/etc. would do much if anything if they had design flaws, which I'm sure they do.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:24 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
well then you dont want a Toyota....its the only truck eclusivly made in the USA left..and most of Nissan truck/suv's are made here now as well..weird isnt it?
all the avalaches as well as the majority of ram 1500's are from mexico and over half of the chevy truck line is from canada....as mentioned above all ford 150's will be made in south america going forward, although im not sure where the heavier duty lines are made...maybe america like the heavier Dodges..
first thing the government should have demanded when they bailed out GM was that they move the jobs back to the states instead of taking more out of the country like they are doing...WTF?
i wish every vehicle had to have a plaque on the rear stating where it was made....that would open some eyes...
I know all this but when I say the 3 American companies I mean Ford, Chevy, and Dodge because they are based in America. Not where the majority of the vehicles are made but they are based here. Where as like you said Honda and Toyota are based in Japan but they make quite a few vehicles here.

That's why I think the bail out was so ridiculous. If we are going to bail out these jobs should at least belong to American people.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Air ride suspension? We put some on our RV..Phew that stuff's awesome. Kinda expensive, but def. softens up the ride a LOT.

Yeah Dodge designed a pretty good truck if you ask me. Just wish they would care a little bit about things like the cracked dashs (I must of missed that year - my dash is fine) and the plenum. But then again, I don't think Ford/Chevy/etc. would do much if anything if they had design flaws, which I'm sure they do.
the dashes werent defective on the 94-98 style the leter style ones were the bad ones....
as far as the air ride it was nice when it worked but they are prone to failing pumps and leaky airbags as well as leaky lines and moisture freezing in the lines....I had all of the above happen on my lincoln in the two years I owned it.. and so did many others ..swapping the bags with crown vic springs was common..all the other gizmos like the automatic truck closer and even the premium sound system with amp (like the rams optional ones) were prone to issues

Old 12-03-2009, 04:29 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hometheaterman - your truck is sweet. Sad to hear you're gonna get rid of it.. What all did you have to replace that was so costly?
The transmission, the LSD in the rear end, the pleneum, the dash, the evap core and heater core(heater core was good I just did it while I was in there), the water pump, and a bunch more I'm sure I'm forgetting. Then I had a ton of stuff like transmission gauge and cooler that just added up. There were a bunch of little things that added up like that. Those are a lot of the big ticket items. Now some of that was labor too. I upgraded each of them also so it wasn't like I just replaced them. Did I really need a $3600 transmission from APS? Probably not however, I didn't want this problem again. Same with the LSD I probably didn't really have to have a Auburn unit or the APS pleneum kit, or any of the other parts I upgraded. I also had quite a few other things go around that time like ball joints, u joints, etc. It just was a ton of stuff that went wrong all at once.

Like I said though that's not really why I want to get rid of it. I have all that stuff fixed. That's just why I doubt I will buy another Dodge again in the future.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I know all this but when I say the 3 American companies I mean Ford, Chevy, and Dodge because they are based in America. Not where the majority of the vehicles are made but they are based here. Where as like you said Honda and Toyota are based in Japan but they make quite a few vehicles here.

That's why I think the bail out was so ridiculous. If we are going to bail out these jobs should at least belong to American people.
but what does that mean? does it help america at all? many toyotas and chevys were one and the same....I remember A friend from gm who was management back in the 80's telling me a story about when toyatas were so hot that they ran out and couldnt make them fast enough....so toyota bought the identicle chevy novas and rebadged and retrimmed them as toyata cameries....no one wanted to buy the chevy version ironically...
also dodge is based out of italy now...they are owned by fiat just as ford owns much of mazda and chevy owned much of geo and suzuki....It really doesnt matter were they recieve their mail the auto companies are all international....

Quick Reply: What's a fair asking price for my truck?