2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ignition Coil Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Illcochy58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ignition Coil Help

Hello, I have a 01 dodge 1500 with the 5.9 gas motor. Its having trouble right now. I just drove it then shut it down and now it won't start. I've narrowed it down to the ignition coil because I'm not getting any spark from it. So I'm curious as for the wiring to the coil because I had it tested and it was tested good. It had a rating of 13.04 on the volt meter?

Is the wires to the coil supposed to be two hots or a hot and a ground?
An if you can come up with anything else that might help that would be good. I'm stuck at my mothers and want to leave as soon as possible.

Also if you know any small econimical tweaks to for this truck that would be nice. Sorry alot to ask.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:18 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Credit for this goes to cmckenna....

Check your coil input voltage as well and verify that you have 13-14 volts coming into the coil at the + side with a DVM. Remove the connector from the coil before doing this test or, if using inline, use a test light instead to verify that you have some voltage at least. While it will not tell you what the voltage is, it will at least tell you if it's receiving voltage or not. Best way is to remove the connector and check it with a DMM. This is the feed coming off the ASD relay. If you do not see power, check the resistance of the wire coming off the ASD relay to the Coil. It should be ~1 ohm. If it reads high, there's an issue with the wire and it needs to be replaced.

Also, check the ground from the coil to the ECU. Remove the coil connector, remove the black connector at the ECU and probe for continuity. Should read the same. If it's reading high resistance, you have an issue with the ground wire. R&R. As of course, be sure to disconnect the battery first.

If, at time of cranking the engine, if no voltage is witnessed at the coil, you have a voltage supply issue. If you have voltage to the coil but nothing on the ground side, your ECUs coil driver circuit may be faulty to where it's not switching ground on / off or, it has cut all power from reaching the coil via ASD relay.

In either condition, you need to start working outward from the battery to the ASD relay, to power to the coil, from coil to ECU. If you have power going into the coil and, you have power at the ground being switched on and off, (use a test light for this - do not use a meter on the ground side for risk of sending meter voltage into the ECU coil driver circuit thus damaging the internal components)

You also may not see any voltage at all initially due to the PCM killing all power at the ASD relay. In that case, you will need to reset the ECU in order to clear that out before you start taking any measurements. If and when you clear it out and note voltage now, we now are 100% certain that power is being cut at the ECU due to gross failure.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:39 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My coil cut out on me in the middle of the freeway. When I got home my bro in law wiggled the ignition coil harness and sure enough it would cut out. You might wanna try that. That's the most simplest approach to seeing if it's the harness.

Quick Reply: Ignition Coil Help