2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Halo Projector headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Bubba39047
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rydesolow
If you want the real answer.. lol.. I've owned two 2nd gen ram's before. And many car's, etc, that I've put projector headlights in. Beware of this first, your projected light will be HORRIBLE compared to OEM. On both my ram's that I put those style projector's in, the light was basically like the headlights were off. Completly worthless. However, they did look good with the angel eye's. But... wasn't really worth it. I would go with a euro diamond style light. That is what I did on my 3rd 2nd gen ram. It made it look much newer, and the light was great! Esp for offroading. The tiny little glass orb's on projectors are really bad. I have them on my showcar camaro and I have to switch to hi-beam's(which are in an open euro diamond style pocket) to be able to see on the road. The regular bulbs in the projector's(little glass orb's), you can't see anything. I have an 02 ram (3rd gen) at the moment and I run the stock lights, even though the aftermarket projector's look really good, I know the functionality will be 0%. And always buy from ebay, their prices are much cheaper. And as for HID's, yes, they are 100x better then bulbs in every way. (Heat, power consumption, light output)
Idk mine are about the same as stock output.... which wasnt the best because of yellow dull lenses...
you r right about the cold cathode...I used them on a gaming pc I bult for someone...they dont last all that long...I imagine the cold messes with them too...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-09-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:43 AM
RonRacer
Professional

i love mine. although they were kinda dim, just upgraded the bulbs(maybe do some HIDs later) and i just bought some LED rings to replace the halos

Old 12-10-2009, 10:56 AM
rydesolow
Veteran

Originally Posted by Bubba39047
Yes, those are the ones I used on black 98 ram. They looked incredible, made the vehicle look newer, and the light output was better than stock.

I understand a lot of people like their projects on here, which is fine, I'm just saying by my own experience, the light output is horrible. You're going from about a 36 square inch light reflective area to about a 3 square inch light output area. That's why a lot of people -have- to upgrade to HID's, and even with the upgrade they dont match stock. Put HID's in the stock headlights, or the euro diamond's, and you will have a huge increase in lux displacement.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Hg1

I posted these a while back but i'll show mine again. I got these from a flea market. They too also say on the back, no HID, but I made them fit the HID bulb. I had to use a little metal file to enlarge the bulb opening to accept an HID bulb. Overall result was perfect as you can see in the photos. The HID's have a very sharp cutoff as apposed to the high beams in the next photo. Once you aim the projectors correctly there HID ray isn't in anyones eyes driving towards you.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:38 PM
rafter40

do these lights come with the mounting bracket for the light casing. i have a 2000 sport model. current i have one non sport headlight casing and there for i currently have one less bulb on the one side ( replaced the fender and came with non sport light) will this cause problems in installing a the projector lights?

Old 12-10-2009, 04:26 PM
rydesolow
Veteran

They actually do if I remember correctly.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by Hg1
I posted these a while back but i'll show mine again. I got these from a flea market. They too also say on the back, no HID, but I made them fit the HID bulb. I had to use a little metal file to enlarge the bulb opening to accept an HID bulb. Overall result was perfect as you can see in the photos. The HID's have a very sharp cutoff as apposed to the high beams in the next photo. Once you aim the projectors correctly there HID ray isn't in anyones eyes driving towards you.

its the projector that has the cut off not really the bulb...I have the same cutoff with my plain h7 bulbs...

Old 12-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by rafter40
do these lights come with the mounting bracket for the light casing. i have a 2000 sport model. current i have one non sport headlight casing and there for i currently have one less bulb on the one side ( replaced the fender and came with non sport light) will this cause problems in installing a the projector lights?
they have everything the stock assy does.....the plastic mount that you install the long bolts through...
also I have to say a projector light is not ineffeciant...although I agree the aftermarket ones for the ram come with bulbs that arent that good....
look at all the high end luxury cars that use them....the new vette has them and they have great light output...
I'm going to try the HID's and see how they work in them...(i had originally planned to do this when I bought them but was intimidated by the sticker saying no hid...

Old 12-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by Bubba39047
I've seen those...they are sharp...but I think they are overpriced as they are just the plastic housing assy and use all the wiring harnesses and bulbs from the oem setup.

Quick Reply: Halo Projector headlights