2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Who can school me on common genII problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:38 PM
011500Ram
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda makes some of the most stupid reliable cars on the road. My friend has an 88 Accord that has almost 400k miles on it.

He's just now starting to replace hoses.

Toyota trucks are known for their stellar record of reliability, especially the older ones. 22RE's are the benchmark of reliability. To pass off imported vehicles for one reason or another is a very, very foolish mistake.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:18 PM
ram2500power

yeah these trucks really only have bad autos, rearends, dashs, and plenums. but to say the least, there not fords, cause if they were we would all be screwed. so i would def go out and buy a 2nd gen ram there awsome

Old 12-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran

"mopar" all the way brother!

Old 12-17-2009, 09:55 PM
estech2
Professional

My ram is the most favorite POS I have ever owned. Follow the rabbit down the hole, join us you will never look back.
They are tougher then S*** and will do everything they can to get you home, easy to work on and parts are plentiful.
You want a kick A$$ used truck, a Ram is the truck for you!!!!!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 10:13 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Originally Posted by estech2
My ram is the most favorite POS I have ever owned.
LOL well said! I couldn't agree more.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:40 AM
kota04sxt

I wish I could find someone to trade me for my jeep. I'm still looking. Any takers? lol

Last edited by kota04sxt; 12-18-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:28 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Yeah I think the rear ends only have the LSD issue. That's usually what seems to fail.

I've not had all of the issues on that list but I've had quite a few of them and had to fix them. I know how very expensive it was to fix the issues I had. I'd hate to see what it would cost if I had all of those happen.

Basically I just don't see a good thing about these trucks. I know this is a Dodge site where most people own them and love them but honestly it's nothing great about these. All issues of stuff breaking aside. A buddy has a Chevy 2500 with a 6.0L. It gets way better gas mileage than my truck and has way more power. Makes my truck feel like a moped. Does it not seem odd that a engine that's not much bigger has so much more power and gets so much better gas mileage? I find that crazy. Why get a underpowered truck that doesn't get good gas mileage either.

Then you come down to the problems. I agree every truck has it's problems but damn I've never seen any other brand that has as many issues as Dodge vehicles seem to. It seems like most vehicles have one or two common problems. However, when it comes to these Rams it's a page long list of common problems and most of them are expensive to fix. It's not like it's 1 or 2 problems like the other brands seem to have or even a bunch of cheap problems. It's a bunch of expensive problems it has.

I highly doubt I'd buy a Chevy or Ford either. If I did buy another truck from the big 3 again it would most likely be a Ford. However, I'd be very hesitant to buy another vehicle from any of the others. Why would you even consider one unless you needed a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. Then they are really your only options. If you just want a half ton why not look at Toyota or Nissan and get a much better truck? If you need a car once again why look at a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. You could get something much better from Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, or one of those.
wow, rant much?
seems like you have a problem with vehicles in general....

....solve your problem, buy a moped

Old 12-18-2009, 01:30 AM
011500Ram
Banned

Originally Posted by 95MaroonMonster
wow, rant much?
seems like you have a problem with vehicles in general....

....solve your problem, buy a moped
Wow, that was the most insightful post ever.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:35 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 011500Ram
Wow, that was the most insightful post ever.

HA i almost forgot to laugh

Old 12-18-2009, 01:39 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go to any Ford forum, Chevy forum, Toyota forum, Nissan forum, etc..., your going to see the same thing you see here, people having problems with their trucks. Reason is, all vehicles have problems, period. So to say that Dodge trucks are the biggest POS's out there is just the opinion of an unhappy Dodge owner. 2nd Gen rams are no worse/better then any other that were made during the same time frame. Some will last forever, comparable to any foreign truck, and some are just clunkers. If you disagree, go hang out on some other forums for awhile, and you'll see that nothing is really any different over there with the other manufacturers, just different problems.

Quick Reply: Who can school me on common genII problems?