2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Who can school me on common genII problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:02 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CSXfan
hometheaterman, maybe the reason you've had so many problems is because of the lift and tires you've installed? Bigger tires put a lot more stress on the engine, tranny, rear end, wheel bearings, steering components, etc. I know I didn't have any problems with sloppy steering or wheel bearings until I installed coil spacers, which threw the front end geometry all out of whack.
Honestly, it could be. At the same time the tires are barely and I mean barely bigger than what came factory though. I have a 3" lift and the Offroad model had a 1.5" lift. So I'm only 1.5" or so higher than it was factory and the tires and only slightly larger being 305's. I also have the 4:10 gears so the tires shouldn't work anything too hard. Now I'm sure they are harder on parts but I still don't think they should have worn out like they should. Not to mention I've heard time after time again of others having the same issues some have lifts and bigger tires some don't. So I really just don't think that's the issue.

BTW the stock tires on a Offroad are 32.1" tall and 10.8" wide. The tires I have are 32.8" tall and 12" wide. So slightly wider and only a hair taller.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Ram_Me
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get your truck from? Maybe you got a lemon. And how does it work now? Are you still getting more problems?

Old 12-21-2009, 03:44 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by Ram_Me
Where did you get your truck from? Maybe you got a lemon. And how does it work now? Are you still getting more problems?
Bought it used but not abused. It was infact one of the cleaner used vehicles I've seen. You could tell there was absolutely no way it had been beat on or abused. It looked brand new when I got it which was the only reason I bought it used.

It works great now and in the last year or two I've only had to replace the brakes and not had any other problems really I can think of. However, about 2 years ago I had a long list of repairs that had to be done most of which cost quite a bit. I fixed it right and used aftermarket parts instead of crappy Dodge parts so it of course works great now and hasn't been giving me problems. However, I still know how much money it cost to fix and it's no way I'd want to go through that again nor would I want anyone else to.

I have a APS transmission, APS pleneum kit, Auburn LSD, did have to re use a Dodge evap core for the A/C, and many other upgrades I've done so that I don't have these problems again. Now I could have gone oem or parts houses parts and come out a lot cheaper but I wanted it done right so that I wouldn't have issues again. Now while it's fine it's a 9 year old truck. When I did the fixes I planned to keep it forever. However, now almost 2 years later I'm kind of tired of it. I had it for several years before I had to do all the repairs. All during that time I had a repair here and there but nothing major.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran

Makes total sense to me! ...why replace crappy,..quick to problems or to wear out OEM parts....with.."crappy OEM parts?..YOU DON'T!! aftermarket, quality parts will keep you humm'in for a long time running. Right on "HomeTheaterMan"!!

Old 12-21-2009, 04:38 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Yeah I have a feeling my truck will keep going for a long time now that I've fixed most of the common issues. If it does have issues they should be minor. So that's not why I wanted to sell it. I just am kind of tired of it and wanted something new. I know some of you have had that feeling.

I'm just saying if I had to do it over again I probably wouldn't buy a Ram and I wouldn't recommend one. That's not saying I'm still having issues because I'm not. I just am saying if I could have bought something else and avoided all the ones I've had in the past I would have. Had I known I was going to have all of those issues I wouldn't have bought the truck.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran

Then again,...you can't beat the interior "room" space of a Dodge Truck. All vehicles have SOME problems...that's why I spread my joy/misery over ALL the companies!....my truck is a "Dodge",..my sport/muscle car is an '80's "CHEVY" Z28 Camaro, my dirtbike is a "SUZUKI" RM,...I've had a "Ford" F-150-4x4 truck,.. GMC 3/4-ton 4x4 Truck,..Chevy Silverado 2wd truck,..70's Dodge 1/2-ton truck ,..60's "AMC" Rambler,..1985 Audi Turbo CD-5000,..70's Cutlass, Monte Carlo...list goes on+on...point? best truck I've had?..#1-My Dodge Rams,..and #2-my Chevy's. *(when they work...Ford runs good also...but not on my list).

Last edited by Dodge.Ismo; 12-21-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:06 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Nice choice on the dirt bike. I'm a Suzuki fan. Of course I've had good luck with Yamaha and Honda too. However, it's just something about Suzuki's that draw me to them. My street bike is a Yamaha though as I'm a fan of the R1.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:04 PM
PUMPER

im having a lot of problems with the wheel bearings, and only really the passengerside, i just replaced it in feb of 2010 and now its going bad again... does anybody know what might be wrong?

Old 11-04-2010, 01:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

What size tires have you got? Where did you get your bearing assembly from, and what brand was it?

Old 11-04-2010, 04:40 PM
97r/tram
Veteran

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I halfway agree with this. I say halfway because I'm a member on several other forums for other makes of vehicles. In general people do come on forums to complain and ask for help fixing the issues. However, on some others like the Honda forum I visit which seems to be a lot more active than this site seems to have a lot less posts about problems than this one. I can't say for 100% as I haven't compared the number of posts about problems and am not going to but I don't see thread after thread of problems with the same things over and over. If I do it's like I said one or two things that are complained about not a huge list.

I also often see threads about how Honda has released a fix for the problem. Not threads saying that Dodge wont admit they have problems or design a death flash to cover up the problem.
Go over to the ford site and look at their problems. Nuff said. Any truck with high mileage is going to have problems. Most common Dodge problems can be fixed.

Quick Reply: Who can school me on common genII problems?