2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram Brake Pressure bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 09:57 AM
twajet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Truck - Brake - Pressure bleeding

I've searched the forums and came up empty but I'm sure it's still possible that I missed it. I want to pressure bleed my brakes in a 2001 Ram 2500 to flush and provide new fluid (no problems). When Pressure bleeding, the service manual says to bleed the Master cyl, Rear antilock, Combination Valve then Front Antilock valves before proceeding to the wheels to bleed the brakes. It also says to hold the front brake metering valve open before bleeding the front brakes. How/where do you bleed the Master cyl and valves? Where do you hold Combination Valve open? Isn't there still a need to have a hose attached to a bleeder (like the calipers) and the end of the hose submerged in brake fluid to prevent introducing air? Pictures would be great but at least a description (that my Service manual doesn't provide!) of where to look would be very helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by twajet; 12-21-2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: clearer question format
Old 12-22-2009, 06:31 PM
seabass202
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is how I have always flushed my brakes of dirty/contaminated fluid by starting out at the furthest from master in this order, rr,lr,rf,lf. just pump it up, hold it down, open bleeder,brake pedal falls, close bleeder, repeat till fluid is clear. ( even if you have air up by the master this should get it out. ) works great. and when I mean by my brakes, I mean every vehichle I have ever had the need to bleed brakes on.

Last edited by seabass202; 12-22-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:49 AM
twajet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

That is the basic procedure I have used in the past on non-ABS vehicles without a pressure bleeder. As I mentioned, the instructions say to bleed the Master cylinder - Rear Antilock Valve - Combination Valve then Front Antilock valve before proceeding to the Wheels. At the wheels it says to hold the Combination valve open to bleed the front brakes. I have always kept the end of the tubing from the bleeder submerged in fluid to prevent introducing air but if I simply loosen the fitting on those valves (once I locate all of them) won't I be taking a risk? I suppose, in theory, if pressure is forcing fluid out then air shouldn't get in. The brakes work perfect now (with old, dirty fluid) so I would like to keep them that way! Thanks

Quick Reply: Ram Brake Pressure bleeding