2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Custom Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 12:33 AM
Cheat
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95MaroonMonster
would be sweet if it does

if you do it, take pics as you go and post a DIY for it
Will do, I plan on contacting tech suport and asking them about the base messurements. Then im going to ask them about returning the gauges if I cant get them to work in the 97. Ill make a big DIY about it too. The total cost would prob end up being close to: $879 Not counting the adapters for the guages or for anything else just gauges.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:44 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

yikes that's expensive

Old 12-27-2009, 01:09 AM
Cheat
Veteran

Originally Posted by 95MaroonMonster
yikes that's expensive
Yea, No joke. And i looked and theres a 20% restocking fee. Thats great. Umm. It looks like they said on the speedo that it will connect to the stock speed senser, so that should work, the tach is easy, the only thing im worried about is trans, and fuel pressure, Ive got another thread on adding fuel pressure gauge to the factory fuel rails, But im totally unsure about how to attach the sending unit to it. Any help?

Old 12-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are many reasons why your proposal would be difficult, if not impossible, to accomplish. For one, the factory sending units will not work with aftermarket gauges. You would need to replace them with the senders that come with the gauges and that would likely require you to rewire them independent of the factory harness. Another problem with mounting gauges on a flat panel is that they will reflect the interior and be hard to read. That's why the clear panel in front of the factory cluster is severely slanted.

As for putting the gauges on top of the dash, I thought about it and it looked like crap. Too obtrusive and distracting even with just 2 gauges.
Name:  056.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  101.1 KB

I ended up with a pillar-mount setup and am very happy with it.
Name:  062.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  78.4 KB
Name:  066.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  69.1 KB
Name:  068.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  97.0 KB

Old 12-27-2009, 12:22 PM
lane
Veteran
Old 12-27-2009, 12:41 PM
01Green5.9L
Professional

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
There are many reasons why your proposal would be difficult, if not impossible, to accomplish. For one, the factory sending units will not work with aftermarket gauges. You would need to replace them with the senders that come with the gauges and that would likely require you to rewire them independent of the factory harness. Another problem with mounting gauges on a flat panel is that they will reflect the interior and be hard to read. That's why the clear panel in front of the factory cluster is severely slanted.

As for putting the gauges on top of the dash, I thought about it and it looked like crap. Too obtrusive and distracting even with just 2 gauges.

I ended up with a pillar-mount setup and am very happy with it.

Where did you get the pilar mount and gauges I really like that, want to get that for my truck

Old 12-27-2009, 12:56 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 12-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Cheat
Veteran

As for the speedo it will work with the factory spending unit,
Originally Posted by GlowShift.com
Easily adaptable to your vehicles speed by using the adjustment **** on the back of the unit itself to fine tune the calibration.
The tach is easy, The water temp might be a little harder but im sure i could take the factory one out or use the drain bolts in the block. The trans temp is easy. voltage two wires. oil pressure and oil temp are the easyest, The sandwhich adapter for the oil filter fixes all problems with that. and the fuel level guage said it can work with factory sending units too. So whats the problem?

Old 12-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheat
As for the speedo it will work with the factory spending unit,
The tach is easy, The water temp might be a little harder but im sure i could take the factory one out or use the drain bolts in the block. The trans temp is easy. voltage two wires. oil pressure and oil temp are the easyest, The sandwhich adapter for the oil filter fixes all problems with that. and the fuel level guage said it can work with factory sending units too. So whats the problem?
What are you waiting for, then? Be sure to take lots of pics and report back on how it turns out.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Cheat
Veteran

What are you waiting for, then? Be sure to take lots of pics and report back on how it turns out.
What am I waiting for? Money. Lol. I have like none. I could have 800 in 2 months. So possibly within 3 months I will report back with the results.

Quick Reply: Custom Gauges