2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Custom Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Cheat
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Gauges

Does anyone know how hard it would be to put a custom gauge set up in my truck, No not like oil pressure or anything like that, Like custom speedo and fuel guage. Like this one: http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/elite...ter-gauge.aspx
I just wonder how hard it would be. It would look nice in the end though.
Opinions?

Old 12-26-2009, 11:10 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

you mean like a whole custom gauge panel??

wouldnt be too hard to make them work, but getting them packaged in the factory location without hacking the hell out of your gauge panel would be a pain

agreed though, the end result, if done correctly would look killer, i considered doing the same, except with Autometer procomp gauges

Old 12-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Cheat
Veteran

If I do it it would have to have the whole cluster removed and then get a custom gauge panel made. Thick sheet metal. Then i would have to find a light for my cel and ect lights. Do you think it would through a cell for the cluster not being there?

Old 12-26-2009, 11:54 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

not if you transferred everything thats on the back (i thinks there's like some computer boards and what not back there

i had an idea awhile back, i was planning on a cummins swap (not anymore) i was going to make my own panel to fit in place, out of brushed aluminum and get some small indicator lamps (the style used on older semi trucks) and label them for everything

Old 12-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Cheat
Veteran

Originally Posted by 95MaroonMonster
not if you transferred everything thats on the back (i thinks there's like some computer boards and what not back there

i had an idea awhile back, i was planning on a cummins swap (not anymore) i was going to make my own panel to fit in place, out of brushed aluminum and get some small indicator lamps (the style used on older semi trucks) and label them for everything
Yea thats what I was wanting to do, But i dont want to leave all the computers and stuff in the back. Ill be using all new gauges. So the old cluster would be put away and all the wiring would be spliced for the new gauges and lights, I am just conserned about it not wanting to work because the cluster isnt seen by the pcm and it keeps the cel on. You think it will?

Old 12-27-2009, 12:08 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Cheat
Yea thats what I was wanting to do, But i dont want to leave all the computers and stuff in the back. Ill be using all new gauges. So the old cluster would be put away and all the wiring would be spliced for the new gauges and lights, I am just conserned about it not wanting to work because the cluster isnt seen by the pcm and it keeps the cel on. You think it will?
eh, it should work, just label EVERYTHING!!!!

i cannot stress that enough, electrical gremlins are a bitch

Old 12-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Cheat
Veteran

Originally Posted by 95MaroonMonster
eh, it should work, just label EVERYTHING!!!!

i cannot stress that enough, electrical gremlins are a bitch

Lol, Trust me I know this. Im thinking about using the wire tappers and tapin the connector for the cluster off and just using fully wire taps but you know how thoughts things work.

I wonder how many guages i can stuff on a panel the same size as the old cluster? hmmm.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:18 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

id say stick with the factory 6 gauges (if you only make it look a little different in a big way, it gives more of an eye popping effect)

then put a trans temp and oil temp in the A-pillar

Old 12-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Cheat
Veteran

I like the piller idea but i like this too.
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/Unive...wivel-Pod.aspx
Nice set up.
Also I will just have to sit down with a card board templet of the cluster and look at it for a while. Plus it might not even work. Hope it does though.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:27 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

would be sweet if it does

if you do it, take pics as you go and post a DIY for it

Quick Reply: Custom Gauges