2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 Ram 5.9 Magnum w/ 60k. Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:31 AM
ffdbossk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 01 Ram 5.9 Magnum w/ 60k. Good deal?

I'm new here so bare with me! I'm looking at a 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 with 60k miles and NO (0) rust on it! It's clean!!! It has a 5.9 Magnum! I was wondering is there any problems with the Magnum I should know about? I'm a former diesel guy (can't afford one now) so the gasser is new territory to me! Thanks for reading!

Derek,

Old 12-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What are they asking for it? Is it at a dealership?
Here are a few problems that seem to be more common.

One is what's called the plenum leak. Basically, there is a design flaw that allows oil to get into the intake manifold. Causes your mileage and performance to go into the crapper. It is very fixable for not very much money if your mechanically inclined and want to do it yourself. If not, the dealerships charge an arm and a leg to fix it. To check for it, take the air cleaner off, open the butterflys on the throttlebody with one hand, and look down into the intake manifold plenum with a flashlight. If you see wet pooling oil in the bottom of the intake, then it is likely leaking. I wouldn't avoid a truck just because of this, because it is very fixable. Just something to look for, could give you something to bargain with.

The second common problem you will hear about with these trucks is the auto trans. They tend to have a bad reputation. If it was taken care of, should be fine though, but might want to make sure it has a sound transmission (really something you should be doing no matter what you are buying though in my opinion).

3rd, bolted to the firewall on the passenger side is the computer, called the PCM. Take a look at the front of it and see if it has a sticker on it that says something like "Authorized Chrysler Software Update" or something like that. This is what is known as the deathflash. For a little while, there was a rash of trucks that had a problem with pinging. After getting inondated with complaints, Chrysler released a software flash for the PCM that fixed the pinging, but it causes the truck to have a seriouos lack of performance. Basically detuned the engine horribly. Also fixable, but will cost a couple hundred dollars.

I'm sure others will chime in with things i'm not thinking of. For the most part, these trucks are decent though.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:12 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

they're pretty good trucks. strong. fairly simple. slightly underpowered.

the 2500 is the best model, having dana 60 axles front and rear. this gives you a lot of gearing and locking options.

aggravating dodge crap things that are common.
plenum leak on all of them, cracked dash on most of them, weak transmissions, detuned engine need superchips or other tuner.

if you don't mind spending time and money as required, they're ok. if you are expecting a truck that never needs any maintenance or repairs, this might not be it.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Hammer Down
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with everything above other than that about the PCM sticker. It is my understanding that the 2000 and 2001 models came from the factory with the death flash.

Other than their little quarks, these are good solid trucks. They can pull almost anything, they clean up nice and 60,000 miles is very low on a truck that will last hundreds of thousands of miles with the proper care.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:00 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^i think they did, but they still have a computer printed sticker (showing part number or software rev or something). or at least mine does. its unavoidable and not worth worrying about. just get a superchips or other.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:33 AM
ffdbossk

Thanks to all! I've owned a 2003 2500 with the CTD! My buddy has a 1999 2500 with the CTD. Just didn't know much about the 5.9 gasser! Thanks for the info! The used dealer wants $10500. KBB says it's worth $9147. I looked at it yesterday and it is SUPER clean. Rockers, wheel wells in mint condition. Even the infamous stearing box leak is NOT present! I'll find out today if I get it! Thanks again!

Old 12-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
the 2500 is the best model, having dana 60 axles front and rear.
Not all. Mine has a 70 in the rear.

Price sounds a little high. The V8 2500s are considered light duty trucks. The V10 and diesel 2500s are heavier duty. If you tow, you are going to be very disappointed with a V8 2500 coming from a diesel. The V10 can pull anything all day long, but the V8 is a bit anemic at it.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

What's the life expectancy of the v10's? I know my next truck is going to be a 2500, and I'd like to get the cummins, but if I come across a good deal on a v10, I might consider it.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran

You need to offer the dealer the kbb value and you would be getting a lot better deal than 10500. Realize that the dealer probably only gave 6500 for it on a trade in or something. I bet you could talk him to 9000 or under... He will tell you he's not making any money but in reality hes making a fortune. I will never buy from a dealer as they over price everything.

Silver my grand pa has 220,000 on his and the only thing he has ever done to it is change spark plugs and wires... The exact reason why my next vehicle will more than likely be a diesel.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Ya, I know the diesels will last forever, which is one of the reason I plan to get one. Just curious how long a well maintained V10 would last though.

Quick Reply: 01 Ram 5.9 Magnum w/ 60k. Good deal?