2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Yay!!!! Transmission is about to blow!! (I think ^_~)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:59 AM
halfamil
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have missed it but,how much$$ was the warranty?

Old 01-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

The warranty was only around $900, which covers a lot more than just the transmission. So I still had a good amount left which I threw back on the loan to pay it off quicker. And I live in NY too, South of Albany.

And the warranty was through a dealer that I bought the truck from (which is my uncle) so I can use it at any garage. I read through it pretty good, and as far as the transmission goes it says they will replace any parts in it if they fail.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well that changes a lot..I thought you bought one of those warranties they are always trying to sell me over the phone.. It sounded like you spent the whole 2500 on the sensor and warranty...I would normally doubt your uncle would take advantage of you...But seeing how you want to mark the parts and are worried they will screw you that makes me think twice... lol

Old 01-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

My uncle is just a dealer (not a real dealer at least, just one of those fake used car sale's mans with a license lol, We go to the dealer only auction's to pick out cars when I do my car/truck shopping) so he doesnt do major work like that. So I would have to go to some one else, so that's why I would want to mark it.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:32 AM
Kaldir
Veteran

So now the transmission doesn't like to shift, and some times clunks in to over drive. I changed my fluid and filter about 18k miles ago, and the fluid is black already on the Dip stick. When it was last changed, there was NO metal bits in it.

Time to break out the warranty agreement and get it rebuilt. I think every thing is because of a bad torque converter. (Its the only check engine code that is showing)

Old 01-13-2010, 10:29 AM
halfamil
All Star

Change the fluid and filter again, and you may learn something from what's in the pan.When you changed it the last time, you only changed about 4 quarts of fluid, which is less than 50% of the capacity. Install a drain plug in the pan and you can drain and refill when it starts to get dark or smell burnt without dropping the pan.The filter will normally be fine for at least 30-40 k. Make sure you examine the pan, debris magnet, and filter carefully to determine what is going on in there.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Kaldir
Veteran

Last time it was done the torque converter was drained too. And putting a drain plug in would be a good idea. I am currently trying to decide if I want to change the fluid's again or if I should just see if I can get a shop to say it needs a rebuild so I can get my warranty company to pay for a full rebuild.

Hmmm.... these are the choice's of our lives.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:23 PM
crankbait

go pull something really heavy with OD on up and down hills, guaranteed tranny rebuild

Old 01-13-2010, 05:27 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by crankbait
go pull something really heavy with OD on up and down hills, guaranteed tranny rebuild
Lmao. This is the answer!

I think it is a TC as well..It all leads towards it..

And I too thought you spent all the money on a warranty and the sensor..Thought you were screwed

Old 01-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Kaldir
Veteran

lol Naa, I forgot to mention how much I paid for both in the original post, so all you guys had to go on was 2500 smackers. lol My fault

And yeah that is a good idea.

Quick Reply: Yay!!!! Transmission is about to blow!! (I think ^_~)