2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wrecked my truck tonight

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 02:28 AM
011500Ram
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The damage would have been a 1000% worse in a front end collision. These bumpers fold up like tin cans. He would be out a radiator, as well as everything on the front of the engine. Plus all the supports.

Either way, a total.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:33 AM
91xjgawes

Originally Posted by 011500Ram
The damage would have been a 1000% worse in a front end collision. These bumpers fold up like tin cans. He would be out a radiator, as well as everything on the front of the engine. Plus all the supports.

Either way, a total.
You are probably right...I have seen brushguards do more damage than good in some instances... but from just glancing at his it looked pretty hard core, but thinking about it, it couldnt be any better than the mounts its mounted to...

Old 01-09-2010, 03:07 AM
halfamil
All Star

If it would have been 3-4 ft.further back,on the door, it may have been fatal!!!

Old 01-09-2010, 09:41 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

now, i'm judging this from the pictures, but it really looks like you can fix it. i'd suggest getting under the truck and seeing just what is broken. if you don't mind body damage (i dont either, i had an accident in my truck and still have all the body damage haha) maybe you could just get those parts and fix them (all the parts to make it driveable).

Old 01-09-2010, 10:03 AM
BadInfluence
Professional

Originally Posted by wjxavier
now, i'm judging this from the pictures, but it really looks like you can fix it. i'd suggest getting under the truck and seeing just what is broken. if you don't mind body damage (i dont either, i had an accident in my truck and still have all the body damage haha) maybe you could just get those parts and fix them (all the parts to make it driveable).
Doubtful. From the looks of the pictures i can almost guarantee that he has frame damage, more then what can be pulled safely.

Plus it looks like he shifted the cab from the bed a little which only adds to my suspicion of the frame damage. Which means all the panels need realigned etc.

If they total her (which I suspect they will) you might want to look into parting her out.

Either way sad to see a dodge down, but glad you are okay for the most part.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:38 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Kinda wish it would've hit towards the front, just to see how the brushguard would've held up, but like you guys said it wouldn't have been any cheaper probably.

Like someone said, if it were a few feet back into the door it could've several injured/killed me. Although, the truck did seem (IMO) to hold up pretty good.

It looks like the pillar in the cab/door has been pushed back (the door is pushed back about an inch or so)..If it isn't totaled from that, it may be fixable. The frame otherwise LOOKS pretty decent, however looks can be deceiving.

Just got back from the doctors and etc. My shoulder's ok - it is just a bad strain on my ligaments attaching my shoulder/collarbone together. Should heal up in ~2 weeks or I will need surgery.

The towing company called at first (Mignogna's in Greensburg, PA, fyi) sucked. 22 hours later the truck was STILL SITTING THERE. So we called up another company and they got it 30 mins later, and took it to the dealership that we use for everything. I hope the other company goes to get and realizes theyre too late since they have pretty sh!tty customer service in my opinion.

I turned it into insurance and they will be sending the adjuster out to check it out.

As far as it being totaled, how do they come up with their value for the truck? Would it be relatively close to KBB/NADA/Edmunds "retail" value?

May just let it go as totaled and find a new truck..Just a shame since it was a good truck and ran nice - but there are others out there. Gotta play it one step at a time.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:53 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'll take the brush guard and your grill

Old 01-09-2010, 04:03 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

wow...good to hear your doing ok....damn....

get another RAM, cuz that right there would be a great parts truck....and as stated above, looks like there may be frame damage.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:12 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by wjxavier
i'll take the brush guard and your grill
Haha. I plan on taking the brushguard and keeping it for the next truck. As well as the radio..toolbox..

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
wow...good to hear your doing ok....damn....

get another RAM, cuz that right there would be a great parts truck....and as stated above, looks like there may be frame damage.
Yeah. Just don't know if I'll have enough money to afford to keep it and buy a new one..Don't have a lot of extra cash to throw around unfortunately. But you're right, it'd be a nice parts truck.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gah. Reminds me of the power pole I hit a few years back in my truck....

Name:  wreckpic.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  1.9 KB

That in itself was a near total.

Glad you're ok. Looks like you nailed the runnin board too....

As far as frame damage, I really don't think you have a lot if any. There is a lot of space right there at that front quarter panel, and it looks like you used it.

Quick Reply: Wrecked my truck tonight