2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

H.I.D Light Question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Ram4x4r
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question H.I.D Light Question?

Ok, so I'm planning on getting Hids - 6000k

What are ya'll guys using Bi-Xenon or Hi/Lo? Which do yall recommend? and have yall had any problems with them?

So is there anything I need to know about installing them? I read some topics saying that I would have to adjust them or something like that.

Also it will be in my stock headlight assembly which is pretty new and clean. Idk if that matters or not because I really dont want to buy new headlights just for Hids.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

well to do it right you need HID compatible headlight housings without the frosted glass that deflects the light into other eyes (all oem HID assemblies have clear lenses for this reason) otherwise you will get lots of complaints and likely some tickets...(all aftermarket HID's are technically illegal btw as I recently learned because of politics)
most of the HID headlight kits for our truck use an HID projector for the low beam and regular halogen for the high...thier is a time delay between highs and lows refiring when hot and its actually very hard on the bulbs to go back and forth between beams as it degrades the bulb life every time you refire an already hot bulb...
However you can find the bi hids with single setups.
If you want more info I suggest the search function as this thread will likely get ugly fast with varying opinions that have little to do with the actual facts

Old 01-12-2010, 01:53 PM
99redram318
Professional

x2 ^ couldnt have said it better myself!

Old 01-12-2010, 02:09 PM
011500Ram
Banned

Originally Posted by Ram4x4r
So is there anything I need to know about installing them?
Yeah, don't.

You are going to blind everyone else on the road, and unless you plan on doing a full projector conversion (not egay projector headlights) you will be frittering your money away at best. And Auggie, you are partially right about the 9004 kits. For non sports they use a single bulb, in which the capsule is electromagnetically moved back and forward to simulate a low/hi. In reality, it doesn't make a bit of difference.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 011500Ram
Yeah, don't.

You are going to blind everyone else on the road, and unless you plan on doing a full projector conversion (not egay projector headlights) you will be frittering your money away at best. And Auggie, you are partially right about the 9004 kits. For non sports they use a single bulb, in which the capsule is electromagnetically moved back and forward to simulate a low/hi. In reality, it doesn't make a bit of difference.
I have those ebay lights (you can buy the same lights in the lmc catalog if you like to pay three times more markup btw) and have never gotten flashed...they have a narrow beam and sharp cutoff keeping the light out of on coming traffics eyes..and not all oem HID setups are projector setups...I do a lot of driving and the only thing distracting about properly setup hids is they are a different color. This catches peoples eyes and they stare at them like fools and many have already gotten used to them and moved on. You could argue a fancy paint job or real shiny chrome is just as distracting from the everyday hohum vehicle...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-12-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:27 PM
011500Ram
Banned

Lol, they are complete and utter china trash. Compare that HALOGEN projector to an S2000 projector or alike.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:58 PM
01 silver ram 1500
Rookie

to answer the original question i am running a high low bulb in 6000k from dmm tuning. i dont know if the high low was worth it because there so bright already it just changes where they point. i just put them in recently and have had no problems. the wiring is easy you just put in the bulbs and the new wiring harness which plugs into one of your light sockets and has a power wire to the battery and two grounds. very simple. and i love them.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:45 AM
Weldor
Veteran

The ebay headlights work fine, I've had them on my VW before, just make sure you use the proper housing like stated before.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Ram4x4r
Rookie

Originally Posted by 01 silver ram 1500
to answer the original question i am running a high low bulb in 6000k from dmm tuning. i dont know if the high low was worth it because there so bright already it just changes where they point. i just put them in recently and have had no problems. the wiring is easy you just put in the bulbs and the new wiring harness which plugs into one of your light sockets and has a power wire to the battery and two grounds. very simple. and i love them.
01 silver ram 1500-- are your hid lights in your stock housing or did you buy projector headlights?

Old 01-18-2010, 02:15 PM
01dabram20
Veteran

I have 5000k headlights and 6000k foglights. I got mine from www.ddmtuning.com. I just have single element for my head lights. I'm going to switch it over to dual soon.

Quick Reply: H.I.D Light Question?