2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

WHAT COULD THIS BE?? Cooling issue...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 02:25 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

he was referring to the water. the PDC, the air box, the transmission, the distributor cap etc... aren't water proof in the rams and submerging them in water isn't good.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:18 PM
neattouch648
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**** guys, lets stay on topic here. The pcm is the least of my worries....

the truck runs fine,

drives until it hits operating temp then suddenly the heater stops working, truck goes to overheat. I turn it off and go to the radiator, take the cap off and it lets a whole ****load of air out....the reservoir outside is full so i fill all of that into the radiator. Put the cap back on and keep driving and it works great. after a little while its the identical thing again...it pushes all of the water into the reservoir and then overheats. put the water back and its fine....what the hell could it be.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:16 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

sounds like one helluva an airlock

Old 01-16-2010, 12:23 AM
korn111685
Amateur

i've got the same problem... intrested to know whats going on. i have looked mine over. i see signs of dried up coolent from the fill area. i think the cap may be bad.

also my heater is'nt blowing hot heat.. at best "warm". i'm going to try a new cap, flush it and see what happens.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:05 AM
neattouch648
Professional

i replaced the cap and that wasn't my problem...replaced the waterpump....i just don't know anymore...i'm going to test compression tomorrow morning and see what i get...wish me luck haha

Old 01-16-2010, 06:42 PM
neattouch648
Professional

okay i have around 120 psi in each piston so they're fine....i got a cooling system tester and pumped it to 16 psi....it went down after a bit so it has a hole somewhere...i just don't know where. I don't know what to do next....it'll go to the shop on monday

Old 01-19-2010, 11:36 AM
jspeez13

neattouch, i have the same exact problem with my dakota. it would be great if you posted the results. i compression tested last night and all seems to be fine. i have random overheating and random missfire in cylinder number two. i thnking that may the truck wasnt hot enough to open what ever crack or leak there is..

Old 01-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by halfamil
The PCM has not failed, if it runs fine and normal.
My truck runs hot because the timing is approx 9.7º advanced, which is an issue with the PCM. Other than that, the truck runs and idles like a Swiss watch. So yes, the PCM could be an issue with his truck.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yakkier
I gotta say something, OK first off Augie man seriously theres not a damn thing that river running and mudding or tugging will to do hurt a truck. Thats why we spend the money on these trucks. why would you spend 3 grand on a 5 - 7 inch lift kit and never take it offroad or in the swamps or mud. if you dont you're simply a poser and need to take your ball an run home to mommy cause the big boys are out to play.

I have had my truck buried and i mean BURIED up to the windows in mud, and yes i stalled out. i knew i would but i also knew i could get pulled out an hosed down. once i got out it fired right up, ran like crap for about an hour untill i washed the engine down an the destrib dried out..

Long story short.. it's a truck, it's ment to take the abuse. if you dont want to take a chance of getting stuck or brused up your better off buying a kia..
ok actually trucks are designed for work.... things like jeeps and quads are actually designed for offroading from the factory for certian abuse related to offroading that many pickups dont come with stock....try buying a truck with a warranty then driving it through a deep creek and shorting things out and taking it to the dealership and see what they say about your theory and if they replace everything under warranty....there's a smart wat to go offroad and prepare and mod the vehicle for such things as submerging the engine in water and a not so smart way.... you said your pcm is screwed up and I say with abuse like in your sig picture without preping the system to waterproof it somehow that its no suprize...show any good mechanic that pic and they would say the same thing. I'm not trying to start anything with you but its the truth...

I offroad however I also understand my truck wasnt designed to run through creeks and rivers.. if it was the pcm would be waterproofed as well as electrical connections and it would likely have a snorkle to keep the water out of the engine (yes they are not just for looks).... driving through deep water without it or at high speeds is a good way to hydrolock the motor and trash it...do a search and you see a thread where one person did it just driving through a deep puddle in the road from a backed up storm drain...its not likely in that case but possible.

I had a jeep wrangler and did my fair share of offroading it it...I also messed a lot of things up with mud and water like my alarm system my fuel gauge and I even dropped my engine right out onto the sand dunes at the beach.... all of this was my fault due to me "thinking they were designed for it"

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-19-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:23 PM
yakkier
Banned

^ word, i can understand where you're coming from. But on average water will dry out and every thing will go back to normal as long as you dont get the water into the intake. which our stock airboxes do a fairly good job of keeping that from happening.

Quick Reply: WHAT COULD THIS BE?? Cooling issue...