2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

window tint & new mod pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:29 AM
mnewbolds
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attempted to do the tint myself, not so good. Wasted about $30 worth of tint film and found my patience isn't was it once was. LOL. Found a guy that'll do it for $60.
I'm just going to go with the 20% so it doesn't look too illegal. I hear the cops around here frown on window tint. 35% is max on front windows but that's not dark enough for me. I've got 5% on my topper and it is impossible to see into the bed even with a flashlight. LOVE IT! I can sit in my lawn chair and watch the "would-be" criminals wander the neighborhood looking for a good car stereo. Can't wait for one to meet me pop through the back glass and introduce my favorite "home defence device" HA

Last edited by mnewbolds; 08-11-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife's Blazer feels like a cave in there, and it's just factory tint. All the rear windows are tinted dark, can't see into the back of it anywheres behind the front seats... Mine on the other hand feels like a big open circus tent haha I gotsta get me some tint on that thing! Did you tint yours yourself laramie? Was it a pita on these windows, or relatively easy? I know my berettaa where a bitch to get the tint on correctly, the rear window is curved in about 10 different ways

farmboy you wouldn't need 5% on the rear side windows, once you had tint on the other windows you wouldn't even need it on them, def not 5% anyways. Mays well spray paint em black And please don't put tint strips on the windsheild, it's NOT a Civic remember

Old 08-11-2010, 11:59 AM
mnewbolds
Veteran

Why not? I saw this COOL "RODRIGUEZ" strip! Come on! That would be cool! LOL

Old 08-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

No, I didn't tint mine. Film and I have issues and I could botch the job putting it on a straight pane of glass. When I turned 16, I got this truck and within a month, I had it at the tint shop. They put 10% on the back and 20% on the sides. No brow. I didn't like it as I felt I just threw $100 out the door because it was not dark enough. The shop I went to the first time used 3M and about a year down the road, it started bubbling. When it was installed, it came with a lifetime warranty through the shop not the film. I figured, ok, I'll just take it back to them and let them fix it. I called, but the phone had been disconnected... Few days later, I happened to be on that side of town and figured I'd just pop in and see what was going on. Turns out that they disappeared about the same time that a Chevy truck and Mustang disappeared out of their shop...

Anyways, I took it over to a friend of mine who just got his shop opened up and he put on the 5% all the way around. Used Llumar film this time. Shortly down the road, the film started to peel off. Turns out that the Llumar batch was bad and there was a recall. That's when they redid the film to what I have now.

What's wrong with strips anyways? Or do you mean something other than a brow on the front glass? It's kinda nice around 7 pm driving West into the setting sun...

Old 08-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

well I guess I'm just thinkin of the ricers and how they tint halfway down the windsheild AND halfway up... Years ago I had a buddy who was right into the rice and he had this on his, it felt like I was looking out through a bomb shelter or something

So you didn't like the 20% on the front? I think that might be what I'll put on my fronts, with 5 or 10 on the rear.... Around here, anything more than factory tint on the front windows will get you either a fine, or the opportunity to scrape it off and show them... If it's not tooo dark they'll usually let ya go, I know tons of people around here have tint on them and it's still there

So did anyone do their own tint?? I wanna do my own but like you laramie, my and tint don't get along real well

Old 08-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Maxx_Magnum
well I guess I'm just thinkin of the ricers and how they tint halfway down the windsheild AND halfway up... Years ago I had a buddy who was right into the rice and he had this on his, it felt like I was looking out through a bomb shelter or something

So you didn't like the 20% on the front? I think that might be what I'll put on my fronts, with 5 or 10 on the rear.... Around here, anything more than factory tint on the front windows will get you either a fine, or the opportunity to scrape it off and show them... If it's not tooo dark they'll usually let ya go, I know tons of people around here have tint on them and it's still there

So did anyone do their own tint?? I wanna do my own but like you laramie, my and tint don't get along real well
Well, I was not impressed, but you have to remember that I wear shaded glasses even at night because dim, yellow halogen lights mess with me. On cloudy days around dusk when it's just dark enough where about half of the people have their lights on and others don't... Yea, you'll still see me in a dark pair of shades to cope.

Certainly go as dark as you feel comfortable with and as pushing with the law as you can go, but if you can create the illusion that the fronts aren't as dark as they look, you'll be much better off. That's why a lot of shops recommend that you apply a much darker film on the back sides and rear glass so that the fronts do not look as dark..

As for how to apply tint, one of our admins is very skilled in it, so PM him and see what he says. I'll see if I can't get him to post in here later too...

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...ericemery.html

Old 08-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

Alright thanks Laramie! I wear contacts and I find they make my eyes a LOT more sensitive to the sun and even headlights. The wife laughs because I'm always bitchin about oncoming traffic high beaming me haha... And my eyes are like a vampires when I go outside, gotta have shades on alllll the time whenever I'm outside

Old 08-11-2010, 02:00 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

Loving the truck man! Seen the other thread, don't know why I posted this in here lol.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:49 PM
lord0fsal3m
Captain

thanks again, yea i know 5% isnt ridiculous, i acually like it a lot, its just that my truck is a DD and i drive quite a bit at night, i like to be able to see everything

Quick Reply: window tint & new mod pics