2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: which is the best
5.2/318
52.38%
5.9/360
47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

which do you consider to be the better engine, 5.2 or 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:19 PM
nopower318
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, stock anti-spin 3.55's

Old 02-08-2010, 12:17 AM
yakkier
Banned

Ha it's tied

Old 02-08-2010, 12:59 AM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess im the only one with any problems on a 5.2. Mine roasted the main bearings for no apparent reason with 180K. I bought 5.9, built it, and will never look back.

I can't vote though.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:22 AM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

I have the 318 with 165,000 miles on it. I bought the truck in marrianna, FL. The truck was originaly SOLD in marrianna FL also. Means this truck never left its original home. I checked at the Dodge dealer to see if any work was done to my truck. No records were found..Only records were that the truck was bought from there. The dealer i bought it from was a little buy here pay here accross the street from the dealer it was at originally bought from new. Pretty cool i think.

Anyway, no major work done to the tranny or engine. And this truck runs perfect. Shifts smooth and everything. Shifts nice and firm at WOT. And engine is very strong. Thats assuming no one has taken the truck to some off the wall mech and had it fixed.. I doubt it. Engine doesnt smoke or use oil. When i replaced the plugs, the old ones were Normal with no oil or anything on them.

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
I guess im the only one with any problems on a 5.2. Mine roasted the main bearings for no apparent reason with 180K. I bought 5.9, built it, and will never look back.

I can't vote though.

The life of an engine all depends on how it was taken care of. Must have had somthing happen to it. Maybe the oil wasnt changed like it should have been by the prev owner.

Anyway, both engines are great engines. Both trucks with the 5.9 and 5.2 all have the same common probs and failiers. I love my truck and the powerplant under the hood and would love it just as much with the 5.9 im sure. Its all what your used to and what you've had. Im confortable with the 318 and like it because its treated me good and i havent had the 5.9.. Everyone has there opinion and there likes and dislikes.

Whether the 5.2 is better than the 5.9 or the 5.9 is better than the 5.2 will never get settled. Its all opinion at this point. Were people, we like what we like.

But the 318 is still better

Old 02-08-2010, 09:56 AM
quackaddict
Veteran

Which is best at what?? Kind of blondes or brunettes question isn't it. It is all going to be based on personal preference. I like my 360 especially in front of my 5-Speed but I don't know that it is better than someone with a 3.9. I wanted a motor I could get the most power out of in stock form, i.e. no superchargers or stroking but things like Harland sharp rockers, headers, tuners etc. So for me the 360 was best but that doesn't mean my motor is any better than someone with a stock 5.2 just means it is better to me.

Quick Reply: which do you consider to be the better engine, 5.2 or 5.9