2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Too Much Play In Stering

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:53 PM
halfamil
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It probably was not intentional. If the dealer says it is something they did, take it back to her. If she is indeed honest, she should make it right.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:18 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

did you get an alignment after?

Old 01-15-2010, 01:45 PM
yingchu777
Professional

Thanks everyone, dealer says there are several things contributing to stering problems one of which is the Box. The lady who has helped me since getting the vehicle explained all the problems (mostly because I didn't keep required maintanence) I will post details of the work they do and the total cost is $1,700. According to her the new tires and ball joints did not contribute to what they are fixing.
Kinda funny I started yesterday going to Walmart for $50 oil change and tire rotation. The fella said he couldn't rotate due to tire bubbles and recommended having it looked at more closely.
Here I am today having coughed up $3,400! I don't mind though because it has been a great truck and now it will be ready to go better than ever.
And the Michelins with white trim letters are GREAT looking. KJK

Old 01-15-2010, 04:18 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, the bos on these trucks are **** poor... i personally stepped up to the 1ton box... the only differant is the 1/2 ton box is a variable rate box ( better turning) and the 1ton box is a fixed rate, but stronger and bolted right up... and i did the borgeasan ( or whatever its called) steering shaft the cn be extended for the 3inch body lift... and it replaced basicly everything after i did the pump... new pitmant arm, and everything undernieth... and the truck turns great...

but im glad you got it figured out...

Old 01-15-2010, 05:11 PM
yingchu777
Professional

Hello All
Power stering gear, alignment, fluid, cleaner & flush is what dealer said will solve horrible stering slack and installed part runs $440.
A secondary ignition failure caused the stalling engine.
They will replace the stering gear Monday and said all will be fine. It sounds so simple to fix this bad stering with a gear and I am worried there is more to it.
I would appreciate anyones opinion concerning how this will solve the problem or that there is more to it.
Thanks to All, KJK

Old 01-15-2010, 05:29 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by yingchu777
Hello All
Power stering gear, alignment, fluid, cleaner & flush is what dealer said will solve horrible stering slack and installed part runs $440.
A secondary ignition failure caused the stalling engine.
They will replace the stering gear Monday and said all will be fine. It sounds so simple to fix this bad stering with a gear and I am worried there is more to it.
I would appreciate anyones opinion concerning how this will solve the problem or that there is more to it.
Thanks to All, KJK
Before I went through all of that, I would have at least tried the adjuster nut on the steering box (I think there is a diy for it) and see if that helps. Also an inspection of the tie-rod ends etc should give u and idea of what is loose. You could have jacked the front of the truck up and had someone attempt to move the tires while you watch under neath to see what is moving is another way. You definitly threw a nice chunk of change at your truck so lets hope for your sake this does fix it.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:04 PM
yingchu777
Professional

Can anyone explain how connecting the new steering gear box removes slack in the steering? Thanks all. KJK

Quick Reply: Too Much Play In Stering