2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:35 PM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are the mounts for the bedrails, do u constantly have to keep tightening the bolts for them ? i took mine off because the bolts were too small and flexed constantly so it would bend left to right

Old 01-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yakkier
How are the mounts for the bedrails, do u constantly have to keep tightening the bolts for them ? i took mine off because the bolts were too small and flexed constantly so it would bend left to right
they have single stainless allen hean bolts with a flat steel piece that clamps from the inside when tightened....so far they have held great but to be honest other than being used as a grab bar they have not seen any hard stress yet...

Old 01-17-2010, 11:42 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start by wet sanding your headlights. I had horrible vision because my headlights were yellow and as soon as I wet sanded them and polished them...well it was a night and day difference. After that, if your still having problems seeing, get the Sylvania silver star ultras. there worth it.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:43 PM
yakkier
Banned

i'll have to look into them, mine i use for grab bars but i also use them for tiedowns, i use to use a ratchet strap and hook it into the holes on the side of the bed but i kept bending the metal so i quit. then i put the rails on an used them for tiedowns and they worked for awhile then started getting really loose and i had to constantly tighten them, now u can actually bend them back n forth by hand almost like butter. so i just took them off before they broke off

Old 01-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

they do sell a headlight retore kit cheap at harbor frieght....I've heard it works well but they can cloud up fast again..

Old 01-17-2010, 11:46 PM
yakkier
Banned

Does that honestly work, iv had friends that tried an never saw ne thing but im kinda in need of a free fix for my headlights because i REALLY cant see ne thing, if i turn off the highbeams its like i dont even have the lights on. my lights arent yellowed out they'er just really sun faded and my passenger side has a leak in it which fills up full of moisture

Originally Posted by J415
Start by wet sanding your headlights. I had horrible vision because my headlights were yellow and as soon as I wet sanded them and polished them...well it was a night and day difference. After that, if your still having problems seeing, get the Sylvania silver star ultras. there worth it.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when is the last time you changed your bulbs?
silverstar ultra and hella bulbs are pretty bright and cost about 50$ for a pair.
GE Nighthawks are about the same as my old hella bulbs and they are 30$ a pair regular price. i got the night hawks a while back because they were 15$ on clearance and ran them for a couple months before i got the hella bulbs. i ran the hella bulbs for a couple years and i just put the night hawks back in there when i got new lenses.
the lights are probably 5 times brighter than they were with the hella bulbs.
one thing to keep in mind about headlights is that the bulbs don't just work 100% until they burn out. they get dimmer over time until they eventually burn out. that is unless they are introduced to some water when they are turned on, that is explosive.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:12 AM
halfamil
All Star
Old 01-18-2010, 06:57 PM
halfamil
All Star

Wet sanded and polished lens again today. It's been over 3 months since the first time, and they came out just a little clearer.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:39 PM
qpavel

Does anyone have some before and after pictures of the sand and polish technique?

Quick Reply: Ram Headlights