2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to remove track bar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:33 PM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove track bar?

Hi all,
I'm trying to remove the track bar on my '99 4x4 1500 to replace the bushings. I took the axle end off, but for the life of me I can't get the frame side to come off. I have removed the nut so it should just slide out (like it did the last time I replaced the bar) but I'm having no such luck. I've tried twisting it, heating it, spraying it with penetrating oil, prying with a crow bar, and smashing it with a hammer, but it won't budge. Any suggestions?

I'm gonna borrow a friends ball joint separator tomorrow, but the last time we tried that, it split the grease jacket (or whatever you call it) so we had to replace the track bar. Is this the only way?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:48 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no personal experience on the track bar, but i think you have to use a separator tool, either a pickle fork, tie rod separator, 2 jaw puller, or pitman puller (whatever fits).

i've separate things with a pickle fork before and as long as the rubber was pretty good, w/o damage to the boot. i've got a small tie rod separator that i like, because you can wiggle it in under the boot.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:34 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hit the part the trac bar goes into, not the t bar itself, or you'll wind up getting a new one anyway.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:22 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Ok the pickle fork didn't work, It still won't budge. I tried leaving the nut on the end of the stud (to save the threads) and hitting it with a hammer but still no luck. I also tried hitting the frame mount itself, still nothing. Any other suggestions before I admit defeat and drag it to the dealer?

Old 01-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're in Michigan. It's rusted to holy heck.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:44 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Unlike the rest of the truck, it shouldn't be. I just put this new t bar in about 6 months ago. And when I did install it I greased the crap out of it so I doubt there's any rust on it.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Justin3
Rookie

well since your replacing the bushings, why not give it little heat, then using the pickle fork. Dont give into the dealer man! lol

Old 01-19-2010, 06:55 PM
CSXfan
All Star

I'm replacing the axle side bushings, the frame side is fine, it just won't let go of the frame. Tried the heat, no luck.

Do you think jacking up the front of the truck will pull the axle side of the t bar out far enough so I can replace the bushings with the bar still attached to the truck?

Old 01-19-2010, 09:01 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CSXfan
..... before I admit defeat and drag it to the dealer?
never, ever, admit defeat.
only admit that you need a bigger hammer, or a better power tool...

Old 01-19-2010, 09:35 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Heres a suggestion....heat the mount around the stud and while it is cooling spray some penetrating oil down around the stud. It'll bubble but also be sucked in to the taper by the contraction and cooling of the steel. PS....it doesnt't need to be red hot.
Of course you'll want something thats non flamable, and yes they exist. You may have to do several cycles to suck enough penetrant in there to loosen things.
Then you need the right pickle fork and the perfect hammer strike.

Quick Reply: How to remove track bar?