2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ticked Off

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 07:34 PM
yingchu777
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CSXfan
I think you mean "steering shaft". A drive shaft connects your transfer case to the axles, it has nothing to do with steering. The steering shaft connects your steering wheel to the steering gear box, and it's a known weak point for rams.

I had my steering shaft replaced when I bought the truck but I didn't notice much difference, if any. I had about 3-4 inches of play in my steering wheel because the track bar bushings were bad. Have your tack bar checked out.
Yes, thank you.
I wonder why mechanic only diagnosed a steering gear box problem.
Ok will ask about the tack bar

Old 01-20-2010, 07:41 PM
yingchu777
Professional
Cool

Originally Posted by WScott1500
I looked back through your posts:

You have owned the truck for 8+ years and said that the steering was perfect before the balljoints were replaced. Then Halfamil told you "If the steering was perfect before new tires and ball joints, then it should have been even better after the new tires and parts." Then when the dealer told you that a new steering gear would fix the slack, you said "It sounds so simple to fix this bad steering with a gear and I am worried there is more to it." Now you are "ticked off" that the gear didn't resolve the problem.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you knew the problem showed up after the balljoint replacement. Before paying for additional parts replacement you should have taken it to as many shops as necessary to get a consensus on why it was now slack. Then with written, detailed diagnoses in hand you should have returned to the shop that performed the original repairs to have it corrected.

I feel bad for you because I know you have spent a lot of money and must be incredibly frustrated right now. When having service done it is very important to have a good understanding of the repairs being made and agreement on the results that should be expected.

Considering the financial investment you have made, I would suggest investing some more time in getting 2nd, 3rd & 4th opinions from other reputable shops. Hope this turns out well for you!
Thanks.
I figured going to the dealer was the sure way to go even if the price was higher. Guess I'll try to work with the dealer and see where it goes for a couple more steps. Kjk

Old 01-20-2010, 07:51 PM
yingchu777
Professional

Will he be able to easily check the trac bar bushings. Is it something simple to diagnose.
Does the computer evaluate steering problems or is it a guessing game on part of the technician? Thank you, KJK

Old 01-20-2010, 08:10 PM
yingchu777
Professional

I didn't feel good when the woman said over the phone to come in in the morning at no charge and take the technician for a ride. What is that going to do?
Shouldn't he know how it's driving after working on it?

Quick Reply: Ticked Off